Diagnosis
10/2017
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Northern
Hi everyone. Just wondered if anyone knew how quickly one can progress to being unable to walk once stumbling begins. My dad hasn't fallen yet but got tripped up again the other day.

O come on now, you know that'll be from months to years depending on progression.

You might be better served to understand what is causing the tripping, such as the beginning of foot drop.

I wish I knew but I'm not there so I can't see what's happening. My mother and him downplay the incidences and blame the rug, slippers or a chair. He's gone from walking unassisted to a cane then a walker in.a month so I can only guess he's not comfortable with his footing.

It is hard to say without seeing what is happening.

If it is foot drop, he could have an AFO fitted and still be mobile for a while.

Chris never had foot drop in the typical sense. Instead he began to have coordination issues, and the muscles in his hips wasted to nothing, then his upper legs began to waste and the coordination became so noticeable. He used to bounce of the walls in the hallway, literally and the things hanging on the walls were always skewed. He would laugh and say he tried to bump in the same places on the way back to straighten them up again.

The spasticity that developed in his legs was the most dangerous part as he could not will his legs to move correctly.

This, for Chris, took at least 8 months to go from walking but having the first minor falls, to only being able to stand for transfers with a lot of effort and assistance from me.

Your dad needs to be checked for foot drop, and have his walking ability checked by an OT to determine what is going on.

Thanks Tillie. I'm heading back in a little less than a month. I've asked my mother and brother to pay attention to how he's walking to see if it's the foot drop or just weakness. I was having panic attacks yesterday just thinking about all this.

It's a doctor or PT that should be looking at his walking to see what is happening ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back