Diagnosis
12/2014
Country
US
State
PA
City
Lancaster
Recently the muscles below my left and right pinkies have been "locking" in cramps a lot (6-7 times a day). Is there a relationship between the cramps and how soon muscle wasting will be visible? I see some wasting in the top of both hands but not a lot. I have been driving a lot (4+ hours a day got the last 10 days)witch causes pain, cramps and more fasciculations in my hands and forearms. I am not sure if the cramps indicate more active nerve degeneration or are just from over use.

Pete I will gently say that from my experience with Chris, driving 4 hours a day, causing cramps and pain is going to hasten the progression in your hands and arms.

I would venture that the cramps and pain are caused by wasting muscles being overused. As they waste they shrink and so they can't stretch the way they used to, and the surrounding muscles are working harder.

So sorry, ALS SUCKS!

Thanks Tillie, you used my tag "ALS Sucks" I think I am going to need disability sooner rather than later.

The tag should be combined with Max's one:

IIWII - ALS SUCKS!

The places Steve experienced the worse cramps initially are the places he has the worse muscle wasting now.

Pete, I definitely notice more cramping, fingers locking, spasiticy when I over do it. Absolutely no doubt about it. I find myself making decisions like, is this activity worth the price I'll pay. Some are, some not so much.

IIWII - ALS SUCKS!
-Kay

Pete, I mention this with great caution and consider at your own risk. All others too. Years ago hot rodders (I was one) would put what they called "Suicide Knobs" on their steering wheels. I had one. Well, I was in the lawn and garden section of Lowe's and they have them for riding mowers.

I bought one and I have it mounted at about the 8 o'clock position on my steering wheel so that I can rest my elbow on the arm rest and hold the knob. I love the darned thing and most of all when it comes to parking. I think they also used to be called "Spinner Knobs".

This is not a recommendation... just mentioning.

Where I come from, they were necking knobs.

Graybeard, that was back in the days when most cars had bench seats, your girl could sit right next to you with your right arm around her shoulders. Seat belts were an option. Good memories in my 57 Pontiac. :)

>that was back in the days when most cars had bench seats, your girl could sit right next to you with your right arm around her shoulders. Seat belts were an option. Good memories in my 57 Pontiac

and drive-in movies, good memories :)

Max,

This is getting this Thread off track but... my 57 Pontiac coupe was black with white trim and a 389 V8 (Most of my buddies had straight line 6s), Holllywood mufflers (glass packs), side pipes with caps behind the front wheels, free flow air cleaner so the carb would howl when I "got on it", blue lights behind the grill, blue dots on the tail lights, wide tires on the rear and across the lower trunk lid in small white letters said, "In the Midnight Hour". I went to pick up a new date early one evening and her father happened to be in his front yard when I pulled up. He was polite, walked around my car with a smile but when Linda came out her father said to her, "You ain't going anywhere in that thing." That was the end of that relationship. Memories of High School days. :)

>"In the Midnight Hour". I went to pick up a new date early one evening and her father happened to be in his front yard when I pulled up. He was polite, walked around my car with a smile but when Linda came out her father said to her, "You ain't going anywhere in that thing." That was the end of that relationship. Memories of High School days.

Nikki, these are worth moving top the pub ! :)

my '64 ford galaxy xl500 392 pumped to 390 bhp, 5 mpg :), ahh days gone past - now an m300, 6.4 mph max (with two redheads inn the traces) :) - http://youtu.be/ouh8q7BqAFc

I agree Nikki, these should probably be moved and let the Thread get back on track. My fault.

Geez Max...Are you sure you're only going 6mph? Looks like everyone was having a great time!

Anyhow, back to the thread... I'm having a hard time telling the difference between cramps and spasticity. I get horrible Charlie horses in my foot, legs and jaw. But my legs always feel stiff and burning. As far as the weakness and relating to cramps, my hand is weak, but I never had cramps in it, just twitching. Now, I get cramps in it if I use it.

If anyone could explain the burning sensation, that would be awesome! Also, at what point do you worry about range of motion? Does anyone do stretches etc?

slopokahontas, taking a short cut here, haven't reviewed your previous posts... are you taking Baclofen or anything similar? I am fortunate, I'm taking 90 mgs a day with no side effects other than I wake up in the morning stiff as a plank and if I even think about stretching I'd get a Charlie Horse. I keep three on the night stand next to bed with a glass of water... first thing I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back