10/2017
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Northern
Hi everyone,
I had asked the respiratory team about getting a cough assist/sip and puff for my father. They told me that currently it wouldn't be covered for him under the Medicare guidelines. I know zippo about Medicare although I feel like I'm starting to learn. Has anyone else encountered problems getting things they think they need? TIA!

Star, I am curios if they thought it would help? I am also curios about the Medicare situation as I am afraid that I will soon have to go on disability and Medicare? Do your parents have any of the suplimental Medicare plans? They run under $120.00 per month, I wonder if they would cover it?

My wife went on disability (takes 6 moths after you are approved for disability before Medicare goes into affect) and she has a cough assist that Medicare is paying on. Not sure why they think they will not. Have to get it from a vendor that was selected by Medicare to provide in your area.

They have Medicare and supplemental insurance. I googled for the sip and puff and it looks like a "requirement" is a neurological condition where you can't use your hands. I was trying to find a way for him to use the trilogy without being tied to the mask. The clinic told me they have to reevaluate things next month regarding the cough assist. I don't know what the requirement is for that. I heard him try to cough and it scared me because he clearly can't. On the plus side I did get approval for him to use the nebulizer up to three times a day if he wants. He said it helps but only for a short time.

I have Medicare and they definitely pay for the cough assist. Whoever told you they dont simply doesnt know their ass from their elbow.
you do have to get it from a Medicare approved vendor, and will probably need a doctors prescription. I find it very helpful. You might also check your nearest ALS clinic-they may have some for loan in the closet.

I posted on another thread about using a plastic mouthpiece w/ any BiPAP (including the Trilogy) to emulate sip and puff. Just need to anchor the hose onto something, e.g. a chair or bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back