Diagnosis
08/2014
Country
US
State
Az
City
Tucson
For those that still have their menstrual cycle....As if ALS isn't bad enough, when it is that time of month, it seems to make my legs so much weaker and tire more easily! Feels like instead of having 20lbs weights on my legs, I have 60lbs weighs on! I keep thinking I'm so grateful I still have use of my right hand so I can care for myself, but eventually I might not! How are the ways you have dealt with this? I would take a birth control to stop it, but I can't due to blood clotting issues with them! Sorry to put this out there, but who else am I going to ask?

See your gyn and find a way to stop it. Ablation worked. Ask about it. Before your hands go. Seriously. It is one misery you do not need. Tell your gyn you need whatever it takes to stop it

Hello,
I recently read I Remember Running The Year I Got Everything I Ever Wanted & ALS by Darcy Wakefield. She actually got surgery to stop it completely so her husband wouldn't have to deal with that on top of everything else. I have the book at home and will try to find out what the surgery was called.

Ablation is probably what she had. Unless it was a hysterectomy. But ablation will usually do it. Don't wait. My sister's hands went first. It was horrible for her

Yes, Nikki, that sounds like what it was.

I have horrible periods. My gyno doesn't really like me being on birth control because of the hormones and our strong family history of breast cancer and other cancers. He wants me to get a Mirena IUD put in instead. I am afraid to do this. I talked to several woman who said they horrible experiences with it. Several said the had horrible cramps with it. Some got horrible infections and several said that it fell out. I don't know why they didn't mention the ablation for me? I might call to find out.
One thing that always helped me feel better at least when I recieved "The Curse" each month is Advil. I usually try to take it a couple days prior to my starting time. Works wonders. It helps with mood and shakiness for me. Dr. said it will also help a little in slowing down the flow.
I so agree with you. It's bad enough for any of us to deal with. But, to have to deal with it and ALS it is a double crappy whammy!

You know, as soon as the guys read the title they couldn't wait to read this one! I am glad they are not commenting though!

I have often wondered about this--what a pain in the neck. I agree, a call to your gyn and tell them what ever it takes to stop it.

You know, the guys have actually been pretty quiet lately. I was going to say well behaved, but that sounded like too much of an invitation :)

>You know, as soon as the guys read the title they couldn't wait to read this one! I am glad they are not commenting though!

hah! :) all true !

You know what PMS stands for? Putting up with men's shit. lol

Lol Max! Did you have sisters growing up? Skipper, that's a good one!

Skipper ROTFLMAO!

Max, you just couldn't resist could you!

On a crazy note about this subject, while researching my options I came across a site about menstrual blood banking for stem cells! WHAT?!

>Max, you just couldn't resist could you!

nope :)

An ablation is usually an outpatient procedure. I don't know how they handle ALS patients but it is a relatively quick thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back