Diagnosis
10/2017
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Northern
Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone takes ADs, which ones work well for depression. My dad was prescribed Prozac but doesn't want to take it. Someone mentioned bad side effects (a given) and I know it has a negative connotation to some people. I was hoping there was something else that he might be more receptive to but I'm not sure what is primary prescribed.

TIA!

I have had ALS for seven years. I take amitriptyline which has several benefits for me. I take 75 mg at night and it dries up my mouth so I don't drool, knocks me out for good eight hours, helps with some peripheral neuropathy that is not related to the ALS, and lessons my depression. It's an old-fashioned antidepressant but it seems to work pretty well for me.

Generally a neurologist will prescribe them taking into account medications, sleep issues, breathing, mobility, etc. You kind of have to try it and work with the dosage. If it doesnt work they will try something else. My husband is on lexapro and klonopin.

I recently saw the shrink as my sleep was being impacted.
I've been through:
Zoloft (Which ruined my libido)
Wellbutrin (Which restored my libido but caused me to wake to mini "anxiety attacks")
Mirtazapine (Which seems to be working fine)​

A major concern with antidepressants (and sleeping pills) is that many depress breathing. If ALS has already impacted breathing, this can be a killer.

Star his doctor will weigh up many factors to decide on one to try. You'll sure get a mix bagged report here.

My Chris finally went on endep (amitriptyline) and it took the edge off his rages and he began to sleep for the first time in 18 months. We had no side effects from it.

I took zoloft which stopped me feel like I was constantly screaming inside and I had some sleepiness at the very start, changed it to night doses (the pharmacist had suggested morning doses), and I adjusted to it pretty well.

I suffer from depression and have taken at one time probally nearly every single antidepressant out there. Some with some very horrible side affects. The one's that have worked the best for me personally have been Paxil and Prozac. I'm currently on Prozac at 20 mg. But, each person is different in body chemistry so what works for one isn't going to help someone else. It's a horrible trial and error process to go through. I felt like I was a science experiment for awhile.

Thanks everyone. I will reach out to the doctor and see if there are any other options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back