Diagnosis
10/2017
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Northern
For the past few weeks my father's feet/ankles have been swollen and cold. He was told to elevate his legs which he does sometimes. Last week, he got gout in one toe. This week I heard again about cold, bluish feet and now one doesn't have a pulse.

Three different nurses have visited and commented on this yet as far as I know, not one has informed a doctor. I email with the clinic doctor's assistant (almost daily) and had asked her about support stockings and was waiting to hear back. When I heard about the pulse thing last night I immediately sent her a message and asked if they've gotten any updates from these nurses as the one who came yesterday mentioned this.

She sent me an urgent message this morning telling me someone needed to check for the pulse again and he probably needed to go to the ER. My mother didn't know if she did it right so she had a nurse come by within the hour who was told to page the assistant and report her findings. He was told to get to the ER, which became another process but at least they're on the way. In the meantime I find out he also has a low grade fever today. When I asked this morning how things were I was told he was doing pretty good! How?! What?! Why?!

Anyone else have circulation problems like this? so frustrated right now. I feel like I'm playing detective from 500 miles away. :?

Although never as serious as your father's, Tom has an ankle that is always swollen. His neuro watches it, said edema is a side effect of ALS. Tom has switched to loose socks, his others would leave an indent around the top of his ankle.

My father was getting the indent as well so my mother cut all the socks down :) Where did you find looser socks? Do you just get a larger size?

It's so difficult if his CALS is unable to really understand the medical side of what is happening and keep on top of things.

As you might imagine there are a few reasons - lowered ability to breathe and decreased mobility being the main contributors.

Hopefully the hospital will put some things in place to help with this now.

My father was getting the indent as well so my mother cut all the socks down :) Where did you find looser socks? Do you just get a larger size?

Walmart has what you need. Dr.Sholls has a "diabetic sock" that will solve the line in the calf. They are soft and comfortable, and I wish I would have know about the years ago. As far as size goes, I wear a size 16 shoe, and they have my size.
You could by them on-line, from Walmart.

It's tough Tillie. Neither of my parents like to ask questions. They don't write things down or question anything. When I hear things like this I just about lose my mind. I keep stressing how time is of the essence and we need to address things as they come up, not wait it out to see if it gets better. He's still walking but not as much so I'm sure it's contributing to things. Just hope its not a blockage in an artery or something really serious.

I would imagine the hospital will investigate the cause now. But I can't imagine being that far away, the frustration would send me insane.

You are about half way through your 2 weeks away from dad?

I go back next Thursday. We have the clinic visit on Friday which I absolutely have to be at. I'm only going for three days this time. It's a lot of back and forth. I'll probably plan a week in February once I return this time.

Star, my husband suffered from gout for years. The thing that stopped the reoccurrence was tart cherry juice, in either liquid form or capsule. It is an anti- inflammatory and really did the trick in short order. Once he started taking it daily, he never had another issue. It also helped several friends with arthritis. You have to get it at the health food store or we got ours directly from the producer on the Internet.
Gout is so painful- he surely doesn't need that on top of ALS.
So sorry you are dealing with parents who won't ask questions. We have to be our own best advocate with medical personnel. Good luck in getting things in order.

>Gout is so painful- he surely doesn't need that on top of ALS.

Ditto that! Allopurinol for me ...

glad you are on top of things. good that you can keep info flowing--sometimes older generations just don't communicate well with medical personnel--think they are gods. obviously your parents also don't communicate well with you either. stay in the loop directly with the docs as you are doing! they need you!

It turned out to be peripheral artery disease. Just one more thing.

Glad you got him to the hospital straight up then.

Do you have any idea of what they may do?

So sorry that yet another worry has been added to your plate! I hope they have a plan for the PAD...

what kind of treatment for that? is it related to the ALS you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back