Diagnosis
08/2014
Country
US
State
Az
City
Tucson
I had a job as an independent contractor, working 7 days a week. I had a terrible migraine to the point that it exacerbated any ALS symptoms I have. I was stumbling everywhere, like I was drunk and my hand wouldn't work at all! It was so crazy! Anyhow I couldn't work, had to get a cocktail of shots, and finally was functioning the next day.

You lost your job because of one day? Did they think you were drunk? Do they know about the ALS?

That's crazy, for one day. As asked above do they know you have ALS?

Mike

i ant saying that you should stay working. there is a point where you will have to stop even if you don't want to. if they didn't know that you have als. i sure make it known that you did to them. i wouldn't leave out on a bad note.

the way you are saying with your walking. get a walker or something. you don't want to fall.......... and i know, just call me mr fall

Yes, they know I have ALS. However when I told them, a few months ago, the said,"Don't know what that is, but sounds like it sucks!" I was surprised by their reaction, I didn't even explain! Normally, I just walk slow with foot drop, I don't usually stumble around so badly. I'm thinking it's a blessing in a way. Waking up everyday at 2 in the morning was wiping me out! I could hardly function the rest of the day! I continued because I'm ineligible for SSDI. I was a CNA, but decided to stay home with my kids the last 5 years, and couldn't go back to being a CNA because my hand is so weak, I didn't want to hurt anyone.
I've always had migraines, but now when I get them it's a scary event!

i made some dvd's up with abc's of als and gave them out. thanks max they didn't ask me any more about it.

It sounds like it's time to stop working, but you might consider making sure they understand what happened.

I can't even imagine you getting up at 2am 7 days a week!

I am sorry that you had to go through all of that. He sounds like you aren't going to have to stop at least doing that type of work. I would be damn sure that they know what you have and what caused it.
You absolutely can't risk having a serious fall. My dad had some of the worst falls imagineable when things would totally buckle and he'd fall down. He fell down a whole entire flight of stairs on two different occasions before we even knew he had ALS. Fell flat on his face in a church parking lot. Fell while out walking and couldn't get back up on his own. You need a cane at least and possible a walker. Eventually, you will be needing someone to walk directly behind you at all times holding onto a gait belt. You can't risk getting a broken bone or concussion.

Sorry that you had to go through this, prayers.

Janie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back