Not open for further replies.

biotron2000

Country
US
State
CA
City
Bakersfield
Hello. My wife just died two weeks ago after fighting ALS for 6 years. We signed up for life insurance about 9 months after her diagnosis. We disclosed she had ALS at the time; in fact, she was already in a wheelchair at that point. They told us that as long as it wasn't cancer or heart disease, we were okay to enroll.
I just submitted the claim and I am terrified they will deny it. The death certificate said she had ALS for 6 years, which is true, but I'm sure they will scrutinize it very closely now that they are faced with paying out.
Has anyone had any problems with life insurance? Any success in appealing a denial?

Thank you,
Patrick McNeal

I am very sorry for your loss. I know it was a long hard battle and she was very lucky to have you.
I do not know the answer. Sorry. Do you have documentation of your disclosure?

Sorry for your loss. We just refinanced the house and got a solicitation offering life insurance to cover the mortgage and it only asked about cancer, high blood pressure/cholesterol and diabetes. I have none of them so I was just thinking about this subject. I hope you get it and quickly.

I'm so sorry. Read the policy carefully. Does it say anything about pre-existing conditions?

If the policy doesnt mention pre existing conditions or ALS in particular, you should be ok. If you have doubts. go to an attorney specializing in dealing with insurance companies. many will give you an hours free consultation. Remember, the insurance companies goal is to collect premiums, not pay out claims, and the laws in this country are written to favor them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back