Diagnosis
10/2017
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Northern
Just wondered if anyone is dealing with fast respiration. My dad's number seems to range between 34-40/minute which I know isn't great. I'm trying to find ways to help him slow down if at all possible. We're counting back from ten which seems to help get some control. Just wondered if there were more tips and tricks out there.

I would suggest that 15 minutes on the bipap would be in order? I know he resists, but he is either having anxiety attacks alone, or having anxiety due to breathing distress. As you are noting, getting it slowed is going to mean he starts breathing better.

Thanks Tillie. He goes on 2-3 times a day and I keep reminding him that it's ok. Stubborn!

I know that you have said he goes on it a few times a day, but I doubt he either understands what is happening to his body, his diaphragm and intercostal muscles, or is in a lot of denial.

He should be on the bipap for the better part of the day, rather than popping on it for 15 mins because his breathing goes awry, but I was really suggesting it as possibly a way to help show him his need for the bipap.

As PALS feel they have lost all control due to this diagnosis, they often make poor decisions in order to feel some control.

Using it consistently will reduce the strain on his weak diaphragm muscle which should allow it to function longer. Overstressing any affected muscle in ALS accelerates the disease. There is only so much you can do I know.

Star, are you saying it's in the 30's regularly or when he has anxiety? Either way, Tillie is right, drive-by BiPAP doesn't seem like enough. I would try to work out a way for him to have it continuously as discussed in another thread. It doesn't necessarily mean forever, it might break the cycle and bring him back to a better baseline depending on what his respiratory status actually is. A RR that high isn't just testing his lungs, but also his heart. When he goes on BiPAP, how quickly does it go down and to what? I would also ask for an oximetry attachment if you don't have one, to see what the excursions are in sleep, etc.

I hear ya. The visiting nurse is very concerned but he claims he doesn't want to be "dependent" on it. Thankfully we go back to the clinic in a few weeks (I got it moved up a month). I'm working on getting the nebulizer and sip and puff attachments as well a cough assist.

hugs Starente, you are doing such a brilliant job of researching and advocating for him.

When my husbands reached those levels he was put on a beta blocker because his pulse rate was also very high.

yes, what is his HR? faster resp. and that go hand in hand. it is a pity that he thinks it would be bad to be dependent on the bipap. and rejecting it will keep him independent. since my husband starting using it in October his HR has gone back down to the low 90s and his resp. is very normal. he only uses it at night. He feels better and more energetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back