Diagnosis
07/2014
Country
US
State
CO
City
Vail
My wheelchair should be arriving in January. Now I need to figure out what to do about a vehicle to transport the wheelchair and me. I am very curious to hear what others are doing.

For now, I am able to walk the length of the car and can still drive. So, loading the wheelchair into the back of our current SUV seems like it might work for a short while. I do wonder about the practicality of me or my wife loading the 350 pound wheelchair up ramps and into the SUV. I am thinking this could be a bad solution, even for the short term.

It is obvious that we are going to have to get a wheelchair accessible vehicle. I need a vehicle with good ground clearance and all wheel/4 wheel drive (it snows over 300 inch a year here). I also want one that can do moderate off road travel, as I really miss being able to hike in the great outdoors. I think transfer case is probably essential (so we have 4 wheel hi and lo).

I would also prefer a solution that lets me start out driving, but transition to being a passenger when the time comes. I recognize I might just have to purchase a different vehicle when the time comes to be a passenger.

I am curious what others are using. I have looked into modified vans, pickups, and SUVs. I am most drawn to a modified SUV or perhaps pickup.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Steve

i don't thing i can get my chair in a suv. if you lay the chair down it turns off.. if like me it's coming down to where im in my chair all the time. my son got me a full size van. but like you said you need 4w. i had a 4w van when i was young . the way it setup it would need a long ramp for it. it's maybe for the suv to.

I’m no longer able to drive, but have rented a wheelchair accessible vans from a company that gets them from BraunAbility – a company that customizes minivans (Chrysler/Dodge, Toyota, Honda) for wheelchair accessibility (you can google their name to find their website). There is also a company called MV-1 that creates custom wheelchair accessible vehicles.

You should consider your progression in making a big ticket purchase. How long you think will be able to walk and drive? For myself, I stopped driving less than a year after I was diagnosed. I was still able to walk at that point, but I wasn’t confident in my strength and reflexes with my weakened condition, especially with more difficult driving conditions, traffic and weather. As a passenger, you may want to be able to drive your wheelchair into the passenger seat , as opposed to the middle/rear of the vehicle. You should consider all these things and whether your vehicle can be modified after purchase.

I know there is a vew/old vehicle called the MV-1. It is made at the old Hummer factory. It has excellent clearance. The problem is that I think it is only made for the wheelchair to be in passenger spot. The 2014 model doesn't have a chair that can be removed and later put back in, but I was told the 2015 model will.

I still don't know about the driver side as I wasn't looking for that. I know when I can't walk any longer I won't be driving. I have a hard time justifying the cost of hand controls and paying for the training required. That is only for me, may be ok for you. Not sure if it has 4WD either. The do maker some trucks that can be adapted but not sure it would work for ALS patients. Contact The Ability Center, Braun and VMI. They really focus on vans but may be able to direct you.

Braun and VMI do the vast majority of the modifications. Be careful if you go with one of the smaller companies to save $. They do not have the same quality controls. I tried a couple of those vans as well.

I know The Ability Center has locations in CO and I just bought my van from them. I also drove/visited both Braun and VMI. I really suggest you drive both on the highway. I got a lot more sway in the VMI Toyota than the Braun. I really wanted a Toyota but it just didn't work in the Braun and I am 6'5" so I need a high door entry and high ceiling inside. If you are tall you will need the Toyota or Dodge SXT. If not, you have a bunch more options.

Good luck. I am in the desert so I don't need to worry about the snow.

Even if you are not super tall it will depend on your wheelchair how high a ceiling you need. My sister who is a very petite woman had to return her first van ( bought second hand, first owner was a man) because her wheelchair was too tall I think it is because she has both stand and riser mechanisms in her chair?
I agree about rethinking buying more than one vehicle. Things can change all too fast

My brother who is in a wheelchair has a Ford Explorer. He had a special piece of hardware put on to the back that allows him to lower the brackets down and lift the wheelchair for transport. The problem he has, is that he is always watching the weather. He says rain will ruin the battery and controller. He uses a BBQ grill cover over that.
Marty

I have a Honda Odyssey, but I certainly wouldn't use it in that climate. We have very little clearance under the carriage. I would look at the MV one because it is really designed and not adapted. I will tell you I have had a Ford Explorer with the lift that suspended me in air and I hated it. It also got about 12 miles to the gallon.. I think perhaps a discussion with your ALS social worker and a good handicap vehicle place. You could also rent different vehicles to try them out. I could drive one year ago and I cannot now. I hate to remind you that this disease is relentless and we have to plan for what will be coming not what we have now. Good luck.
Hollister

Hey Steve,

DH just ordered a Dodge Grand Caravan and it should arrive around the same time as his wheelchair. Apparently the Grand Caravan is easily modified for handicap use. It has all the seats in the two rows in the back folding down completely into the floor. For the time being we'll purchase a ramp and later, have the passenger side modified so that DH can sit there in his wheelchair. He also wanted to have the Caravan modified with the steering wheel paddles as he can no longer use the foot pedals safely (he's been literally lifting his right knee to change to the break pedal - not very safe but he insisted and with me sitting right beside him, he was giving me multiple heart attacks :-(

Hey Steve,

DH just ordered a Dodge Grand Caravan and it should arrive around the same time as his wheelchair. Apparently the Grand Caravan is easily modified for handicap use. It has all the seats in the two rows in the back folding down completely into the floor. For the time being we'll purchase a ramp and later, have the passenger side modified so that DH can sit there in his wheelchair. He also wanted to have the Caravan modified with the steering wheel paddles as he can no longer use the foot pedals safely (he's been literally lifting his right knee to change to the break pedal - not very safe but he insisted and with me sitting right beside him, he was giving me multiple heart attacks :-(

I should have added "lifting his right knee with his right hand" ...

I will get mine through the VA. Due to differing resale values, they recommend new Honda or Toyota, or used Chrysler minivan. The Chryslers supposedly come from car rental agencies.

The DOD has started auctioning off 4,000 Humvees. The first batch, some combat veterans, sold for average $30K. They can't be licensed for road use, however. That's probably part of the deal they made when purchased new.

I wonder if the new series of Ford vans has a lower floor?

i was wanting a old step in van like a 62 chevy but my son done got me a van. it a old van but it's nice. i got a bar anyone for a drink.

I'm glad you started this thread. I've also been doing some research in this area since the VA just gave my a voucher for a modified vehicle purchase. I've been looking at full-size trucks and planning on a crane in the bed to raise and lower the wheelchair. Thoughts?

Someone mentioned a Toyota but I don't think I saw which model.

I really appreciate all the feedback I am getting. I am especially impressed by the thoughts that my driving abilities are going to diminish... it is just a matter of time until I am a full-time passenger. I accept that, but of course am fighting it all the way:).

Given my need for ground clearance and desire for a transfer case, I am starting to lean more toward a pickup or SUV conversion. ATConversions and MobilitySVM both offer such conversions (of GM products). I like the design of the ATConversions one better. I have been told that my wheelchair will not fit in the MobilitySVM conversion.

It seems like the most practical approach is to get one with a passenger side conversion. Since I will likely lose my ability to drive about the time I lose my ability to walk around the vehicle, this seems like the most logical thing to do.

It is hard to accept that I will reach a point where I can't drive any more, but I think the easiest way to handle it is to just accept it and move forward. I have decided to do exactly that.

If anyone has any thoughts on pickup or SUV conversions, please feel free to chime in.

Now to start looking for a used 4 wheel drive pickup or SUV with passenger side conversion done by ATConversions.

Steve

steve when the time comes and you can't drive or walk. will you have someone that can drive for you and be able to pick you up an put you in. this is something you might want to think about.

davbo49- thanks for bringing this up.

My wife will be able to do the driving when the time comes (and even before then, if she gets her way). The ATConversions has a wheelchair lift. She will not have to do anything to get me into the truck, other than to deploy the lift and retract it with me in place (all hydraulically motivated based on push button controls).

The real question is whether or not the truck/SUV will fit in our garage.

Thanks for pointing out potential issues and let me know if you think of any more.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back