Diagnosis
07/2014
Country
US
State
CO
City
Vail
I am new to the forums and really appreciate the help I have received so far. I am full of questions as I start to come to grips with the reality of the diagnosis. I appreciate your patience and feedback as I do so.

This time, the question is about wheelchairs. Thanks to the urging of my neurologist, I am four months down the path of getting a wheelchair. Today, I received word that insurance has agreed to pay for most of the options I have selected. However, insurance will not pay for the seat elevation option.

The wheelchair I have selected is a Permobil C500 vs. It has (power) leg extenders, tilt, recline, and standing capabilities, along with the seat elevation capability.

It seems to me (who has zero experience with wheelchairs) that an elevating seat would be useful to help me reach counters, etc.

What is your experience? If you have the elevating seat, do you find it valuable? If you don't have the elevating seat, do you wish you did?

I certainly appreciate all feedback on this!

I look forward to having the wheelchair by mid January. Never thought I would actually look forward to getting a wheelchair!

Steve

Hard to say if it's medically needed. But it sure is nice to look people in the eye.

I am glad I paid for the riser since my legs are so long if it wasn't elevated I would no longer be able to transfer. To put it in perspective the inseams on my slacks are 37 inches. Pretty long for a chick. I also use it to reach bars in restaurants and things like that. The most important thing for me is the transfer. There's my two cents worth. Good luck
Hollister

My husband loves the riser. As Mike said, it's nice to look people in the eye. It is my impression that you will likely be able to use the riser much longer than the standing feature. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong. The riser also makes you more visable in a crowd, and it puts more things in reach (again, our experience is without the standing feature).

Thanks for the feedback. It looks like it is very much worthwhile to pay for the elevate/riser capability. I will let the wheelchair folks know and move forward with finalizing the purchase.

Steve

my husband has a permobile 500 w/seat elevation. he uses it all the time . it is very necessary for everyday activities.

Thanks for the feedback carllinnan. It looks like the consensus is unanimous.

I have decided to move forward with it, and will push the logical buy button on the first business day of 2015 (for insurance purposes, I need to wait until then).

Boy, are these things expensive!

Steve

i know you was asking about the seat but don't forget the cup holder.

The wheelchair folks recommended the cupholder. I thought it was kind of silly until I started thinking about it. I have trouble staying hydrated, and having a drink always at the ready seems like a good idea.

Insurance will not pay for the cupholder, but I went ahead and added it to the order.

Steve

yea they wouldn't for me ether. so my son got me one from the auto shop.

My reason for needing the wheelchair elevating seat was for work as a teacher to be able to write on the board and meet students eye to eye. At home to be able to cook and do laundry. BCBS paid50% of it and the DME company ate the rest. Said it was the first time they hads someone get any money for the elevation.

A Blues plan paid for 100% of ours. There was no extra justification involved, but I had spoken with a case manager several times by phone, and she had signature authority over the order. So my first piece of advice is to ask for/get a case manager, for several reasons. But otherwise, for those denied (yes, you can appeal) or with a future w/c...

Have the doc write a letter documenting that the elevation feature is essential for ADLs such as toileting and state explicitly that its purpose is medical and not convenience. Make sure s/he includes ALS as the diagnosis, e.g. something like, "In disorders other than motor neuron disease, where some degree of improvement and/or adaptation may be expected over time, there may be some justification for characterizing the seat elevator as a "convenience item." However, in the setting of motor neuron disease, invariably and linearly progressive, where falls, with their attendant costs to the plan and patient, are often the result of transfers that involve vertical as well as lateral movement, it is readily evident that matching heights of the wheelchair and a second surface, as permitted with the elevation feature, is both medically necessary and a sound investment. The documented SAEs (available on the FDA's database) associated with sling transfers suggest the wisdom of accomplishing transfers otherwise as long as practical."

Nothing ventured...

lgelb, thanks for the recommendation to appeal to the insurance company. I have already done that, and they rejected the appeal.

But, nothing ventured... I will be calling them today and pleading my case!

Overall, I am pretty pleased with what they have agreed to pay for the wheelchair so far. I was afraid they would reject quite a few options on the chair, such as the standing feature.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back