Diagnosis
10/2017
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Northern
Has anyone used Prozac to treat anxiety? My dad was prescribed it but hesitant to take it. I'm wondering about potential side effects and if it really can help. Xanax seems to be too short acting and not cutting it and I'm not sure what other options there are. TIA!

Prozac is a reliable, well known SSRI anti-depressant. I took an SSRI for decades. Very effective for controlling my irritability. Likewise for my sister, who took Prozac for decades. Prozac is the only anti-depressant authorized for pilots by the FAA.

Anxiety is another issue.

Why are he and you second-guessing his doctor?

He's worried because he's heard negative things in the news and I'm more concerned about whether it works on anxiety or only depression and if it will cause more anxiety because I see that's a potential side effect.

Prozac is the oldest most-studied and longest half-life anti-depressant, so that's usually the go-to for anti-depressant prescriptions, as it's very forgiving if you miss a couple consecutive doses. Depression and anxiety can be related, but usually they are two different problems. My father is currently on Zoloft for depression and Ativan for anxiety. Ativan is a benzo just like Xanax; but I would be very conservative with Xanax or Ativan if possible, because they are very addictive.

I currently take Lexapro and Welbutrin. Lexapro acts as both an anti-depressant and anti-anxiety, while Welbutrin is an SNRI that just works as an anti-depressant. I've had very good results from Lexapro, other than some slight fatigue as a side-effect.

Best,

Ken

STARENTE, thanks for the answers. Experienced doctors will know the nuances of these medicines. They keep up with the literature, consult among themselves, and in general are pretty well informed.

Potential side effects can be rare and even unsubstantiated. Out of a million users, if somebody gets an itchy ass, they list itchy ass as a side effect. I wouldn't sweat it.

Your dad's doctor saw some reason to prescribe it. Tell dad to try it for two weeks and then decide if he doesn't like it.

Honestly, at the beginning I hated the whole idea of taking pills. I hated thinking that my brain needed meds to make it right. But 20 years have passed, and I know now that the meds really make a great positive difference in my life and I'm thankful for them.

A similar drug, Zoloft, is listed as being effective for panic attacks as well as anxiety and depression. I started it for panic attacks and it did the job of preventing them, not just treating them once they hit. Valium was too little, too late for the job.

The only "side effects" were reducing general anxiety, and I hadn't realized how depressed I had been until I began taking it. That was a huge benefit because my depression and tears upset my husband, and like many men, he reacted with frustration and anger. And that only made me more depressed and weepy. Bad situation for both of us.

Like many people I had feared that any such medication would leave me dull witted, groggy, out of it emotionally. Instead it lifted the haze of depression that consumed all my thoughts and took me back to normal. I could problem solve instead of giving up every time something else was lost to ALS.

Like many people I had feared that any such medication would leave me dull witted, groggy, out of it emotionally. Instead it lifted the haze....

ABSOLUTELY, everyone thinks that brain meds will take over your brain and leave you senseless. Maybe that was true 50 years ago.

The antidepressants of today, though, are really good for you. You don't even know they're doing anything. Except that I don't get cranky. I used to be very easy to anger, but I'm feeling much better now.

Seriously, after being married to a doctor for 20 years. I'm a believer.

Only by working with your doctor and taking the meds as prescribed can you work out the right meds and dose for your father. If he takes them as prescribed and has any problems, then his doctor can work out how to adjust the dosage or try a different medication. Ask his doctor about the options?

KenG wrote :but I would be very conservative with Xanax or Ativan if possible, because they are very addictive.

I don't think that is so valid. We are dealing with terminal illness here where comfort and dignity are primary. Let's be brutally honest - they are not going to get better and have to be weaned off these meds. They are going to get worse - slowly or quickly - and need meds adjustments accordingly.

That is another thing to remember. A dosage of a medication that is worked out now may not work perfectly a bit further down the track because of progression rather than the meds. So constant monitoring by your fathers doctor is needed to keep the right meds at the right levels.

I don't think that is so valid. We are dealing with terminal illness here where comfort and dignity are primary. Let's be brutally honest - they are not going to get better and have to be weaned off these meds. They are going to get worse - slowly or quickly - and need meds adjustments accordingly.

You are probably right, Tillie. I didn't really think of it that way, but either way, Benzos only last 4-6 hours and so must be continually taken, so an SSRI may be a preferable option. But you are correct, don't take my word for it, talk to the doctor. It is probably also always a good idea to have a fast-acting med like Xanax or Ativan on hand for fast-acting relief. If Xanax didn't seem to work, maybe talk to the doctor about trying Ativan or Valium.

Best of luck,

Ken

Definitely the benzos give a great result for dealing with panic attacks on the spot, but a longer term solution of preventing the anxiety is usually the aim of the doctor and having the benzos on hand for any break through anxiety can be great too.

The reason for the anxiety is also very important. If it is that lung function is deteriorating then options such as clonazepam and morphine are usually the best choice.

Thanks for all the different perspectives! I'm encouraging him to do it. There's no sense being uncomfortable and dealing with anxiety every day if there's something that can help you.

I take Prozac for clinical depression. 20 mg a day. They used to give me Ativan with it for anxiety because I couldn't sleep. But, Ativan can be very addictive. Trust his doctors because each person reacts differently. A drug that helps one person might not work for another. It also takes at least two weeks for them to really get into the system. Anxiety and depression can both co-exists.

Ativan did seem to work within 15 minutes of me taking one though. It's a fast working drug.

Starente, My husband and I both were hesitant to start on them. But they have made life bearable and I am clear headed all the time. He is a little foggy sometimes but with the pain meds and other stuff he takes, I cant say its his lexapro or clonazapem. I am taking zoloft and clonazapem. No more night time panic attacks for us. We both sleep. He doesnt stress with his breathing. Its all good!

I have had anxiety for 30 years and refused to take anything. This was absolutely the best quality of life move I have ever made.

Great to hear Gooseberry!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back