Diagnosis
10/2017
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Northern
A visiting nurse checks in on my dad from time to time. The last few times, they've been concerned about his breathing, O2, etc. It causes panic for everyone each time. Today they said he needed to go to the ER immediately to have blood gases done because his respiration was low. I know these nurses don't specialize in ALS so I wonder if they realize that lowered respiration becomes the new normal. To control the panic, I reached out to the doctor who said unless he doesn't feel well and is complaining about, she doesn't want him in and out of hospitals and ERs. He has and is using his bipap which should take care of the CO2 and prior to this episode he was out running errands.

All the different opinions stress me out. I keep trying to have things funnel through one source but it doesn't always happen and then chaos ensues.

Yup...home health did this with us. They dont have knowledge of als . The hh nurse told me, I have a nursing degree and know what I am talking about. I assured her that while I respected her education and training, als is very different.

Stay away from hospitals.
Low O2 and increased respiration rate becomes the new normal.
Nearly all medical persons judge their patient's health by deviation from a healthy norm. For PALS, that's worse than useless.

Holy moly. The chaos that ensued was unbelievable. Thankfully the clinic doctor said DO NOT go to the hospital unless its absolutely necessary. Everyone listened and all is well. :)

If your pals goes to clinic see if they recommend an agency. If your insurance doesnt cover them you can petition to have them added as in network . Use als and differences from morre familiar treatment as examples

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back