10/2017
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Northern
Hi everyone

If there is a need to start using the bipap several times during the day in addition to sleeping, does anyone know if this means things are progressing? I'm also wondering what happens once you need the bipap all day long. Is the next step a decision on ventilation?

I have only been on bipap for 3 days, still getting used to it. My clinic doc and the RT say it can be used anytime you nap or if your oxygen level is low during stress etc.
You are right about the next step being ventilation. My Resmed bipap has the function of adding oxygen in the vent tube if needed.
Some body will chime in and hopefully know the answer to your?

The bi-pap is ventilation, non invasive, but still ventilation. So if you are using a bi-pap you are already considered on a vent. This does show progression if you need it more and more. The thing you are thinking of is invasive ventilation, a tracheostomy. This involves the hole in the throat and hoses etc. Sorry to be such a downer, just giving info.
Vincent

I use my bipap whenever I'm prone, which is most of the time. I'm progressing so I guess that's part of the ALS course. I understand the bipap becomes less and less effective so you have the choice of venting or dying in a morphine haze. If the rest of you is failing I see little reason to vent, but that's another topic we've covered pretty extensively in the past.

Hi everyone

If there is a need to start using the bipap several times during the day in addition to sleeping, does anyone know if this means things are progressing? I'm also wondering what happens once you need the bipap all day long. Is the next step a decision on ventilation?

Yes, though full time BiPAP can work until your FVC is very low, below 30, or even 20. It is necessary to monitor CO2 levels by this point. The switch to a vent very often is triggered by a chest cold or pneumonia.

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately the rest of the situation is fairly good. He's walking, eating, driving etc but the breathing holds him back from doing more.

If he's driving, why not get a BiPAP he can have in the car and elsewhere? You can get a DC cord for the car and a battery for other situations.

Do u know what the portable unit is called/ how to get one? It sounds like a great idea.

If he has a trilogy it should have come with battery backup in the case it's housed in allowing for up to 6 hours use before needing to recharge.

cool. thanks for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back