Other
Country
IL
State
Illinois
City
Champaign
Hello!

I am a senior product design student from University of Illinois, and as a part of my thesis project, I am working on redesigning a bedpan.

Both my parents are doctors, and thus I have seen the vast number of problems patients as well as caregivers face while using the bedpan. It is a product that almost everyone uses at least once in their lifetimes, but has never been improved because of the stigma attached to it.
I was going through the different threads on this forum, and it pains me to see the problems people face. I would love to be able to help in my small way by making a better product and making a difference in someone's life.

Please let me know if you or someone you know has used a bedpan, and would like to start a conversation. I would love your insights on the various difficulties people face while using bedpans, and how you worked your way around them.

My email address is [email protected]

Lets make a difference together.

Oh honey, this is the wrong forum to get help. Remember, people here are either terminally ill with very limited energy, or deeply involved in the care of ALS patients. Good luck in finding help- a good project but think this is the wrong place for you.

I disagree about this being the wrong place for design ideas. Sure most of the caregivers are so busy, stressed, and sleep deprived, but many of the PALS themselves are perfectly capable of providing input. We manage to get our share of comments in on every topic on this forum!

My request would be for a pan that is easier for a busy caregiver to clean after every use.

I also think it could be a good place, of course not everyone can help...I had a group of Industrial Design students from ASU talk with me about wheelchair design...it not only helped them, it helped me see what I need and/or use often when I am in my chair...it didn't hurt that I have 4 wheelchairs here

I would see about patients that are local who you can visit and work physically and visually with...

Just want to give you a thumbs up on your project. Can't offer any advice as I've never used one or seen one in action

My personal observations:
With a paralyzed patient, a bedpan is a nightmare. Even the female urinal was a mess. When the patient can't help you whatsoever, rolling a 150 pound woman--while supporting her breathing posture with one hand while trying to remove the bedpan with the other--is impossible to do without spilling. Of course, I never had any training and I never found any instructions that actually helped. The dummies in the training videos must weigh all of 50 pounds and seem to have no problems breathing with an arched back.

Excellent and admirable endeavour. I hope you glean some useful info from us PALS and CALS. Try one yourself too, of course. As a design manager for twenty some years, a passion for Universal Design principles (MA in DM for Universal Design), and a keen interest in supporting someone to develop simple useful products I say heck yeah. Good you modify portable urinals at the same time? Hurry, I gotta go!
Aaron

As a patient at times, being told to use one after abdominal surgery, do you know how hard that is? Nothing else was offered. So I hauled my but out of bed to the restroom and set off all the bed sensors for falls etc. Couldnt do it.

Thank you so so much for all your valuable thoughts! Keep them coming :)
I will definitely try working with someone local, so that I could get proper feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back