10/2017
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Northern
Hi everyone,

I attended my first ALS support group last night. Lots of information, more questions... Someone mentioned that you need to make sure that the right wheelchair is selected from the beginning because Medicare will only pay for one. Is there a resource somewhere that details info on this or can anyone shed light on what I might need to know in advance?

Thanks so much!

ALSA should have some good info.
My advice is to get every function you can, tilt, recline, leg lift. Try to get the doc to prescribe riser function as well, you'll probably have to fight for that one. The representative should make sure it's fitted to him as well. They should measure his leg lengths, knee to foot and knee to hips and his width. Test drive different makes. Controls are important too.

If the wheelchair you get is not adaptable for future use as your disability increases it is possible to get a new chair before the 5 year general limit on a new chair. It will take meticulous documentation of why you need a different chair and why the needed features can't be added to your existing chair.

Your first chair should be selected with adaptability to future needs in mind. If you go through your local MDA ALS Clinic you should get an experienced therapist and wheelchair company who will make certain you get a chair that will last you for years. Medicare will pay toward any changes and equipment the chair will need. If the chair is totaled, stolen, unrepairable after a breakdown, or repair parts are no longer available if the chair is old or the company goes out of business, Medicare will replace it if the right documentation is provided. It may require refiling if your claim is rejected the first time around. A good wheelchair provider and the MDA therapist will fight the paperwork battle for you.

Getting a chair on your own is easy and fast. Buy it online or through a local medical supply store and it is unlikely you will get a properly fitted chair with all the adaptability you will need down the line.

Great info. I wouldn't have thought of half of this. Thanks !

Get a spreadsheet of the order before it is placed. Double check that all 4 power features are there, any lateral and/or leg supports that were discussed, what kind of headrest, cushion, back, that everything is what you discussed w/ the rep, OT, PT. Double-check battery type, range, top speed if these are important in your setting. Try not to faint at the retail. If you are getting third party pieces like head rest, arm troughs, cushions, etc. download the manuals off the Net and read them while you are waiting for the chair. Keep everything together.

If you have a need for speed, depending on your plan and DME, be prepared to bird-dog (is that supposed to be hyphenated, Max?) all the steps where things get dropped, like...
the DME getting the order to whoever has to sign it at the clinic, or vice versa,
the DME actually placing the order once the rx is signed, and getting plan pre-auth if/as needed, (and calling the plan yourself if needed to move them along, also a good time to get a case mgr)
the mfr made aware that the chair is for an ALS pt,
and that when the DME takes delivery, that they schedule drop-off w/ you, instead of waiting weeks for a part that isn't as urgent or just waiting till they are out your way, or if your DME delivers to the clinic, that when you take delivery, someone is there to check off the order w/ you and you should get a delivery manifest copy/tool kit as well, and that final adjustments can be made and often take two visits as things settle in.

My run-on sentence for the day...

great tips lgelb!

To piggyback on lgelb, I had to get a Quantum Edge because I need to have split leg rests. They aren't available on Permobil. They are not as easy to get in and out of doors and vans, etc, but I need them, so make sure you check on that as well.

>Try not to faint at the retail.

Laurie's right and don't get soft when negociating w/ the reps -- talk to mda/alsa. their retail pricing is bs. period!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back