10/2017
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Northern
Hi everyone,

The doctor prescribed Prozac for my dad for anxiety. Does anyone here take this? He's resistant and doesn't want to take it but I understand that anti-anxiety drugs can suppress respiration and they won't prescribe them. Are there any other options for this that I could see if the doctor would prescribe? I feel like he's suffering needlessly. I believe the anxiety is coming from his inability to take a deep breath and it's causing panic. TIA!

Prosac, as I understand, is an antidepressant. I asked my doctor for Ativan for anxiety. She said it does suppress breathing but it's OK if I'm on the bipap. Ativan really works. I think it's used a lot at end of life too, along with morphine, to keep PALS comfortable.

My husband take slexapro and klonopin (clonazapem). The klonopin suppresses respiration but it is more important he isnt having panic attacks and that he sleeps. It comes down to.the risk benefit

Also ask the doctor about Buspirone. It's not as habit forming but takes longer to work (two weeks). The benzos, like Ativan,are fast acting so good for panic attack. Alex

I'll ask about some of these other ADs. He's having anxiety during the day and his breathing is starting to get pretty compromised.

Alex, they gave steve xanax for anxiety and panic attacks. The neuro said they work for 3-4 hrs so she prescibed the clorazapem..said it would last closer to 8 hrs.

The Dr. at the clinic gave me Citalopram, also known as Celexa. I've taken it for about two weeks, and yesterday I did notice some relief. It takes about 2 or 3 weeks for this kind of antidepressant to work. Prozac, Lexipro, etc. are in the same class.

The local Neurologist gave me Xanax and the Dr. at the clinic told me not to take it.
After reading the posts above about respiration, now I know why they told me not to take the Xanax.

So, I asked them what else I can take for some relief from the anxiety, (being rather shaken by the diagnosis) and they said they didn't want me taking those types of drugs like Xanax and Ativan.

Marty

coobee there a lot these cool little pills out there. i took a half of a sertraline and it knocked me on my ass. they said i was all funny looking. but that's me anyway.

Clonazepam is usually used for acute anxiety - like anxiety attacks because of breathing issues.

Antidepressants are usually used for chronic anxiety as it is normally linked to depression. So feeling anxious over the diagnosis, is really a chronic type of anxiety.

What doctor gave this prescription?
I can't remember if you father is on bipap? This would be the most beneficial prescription for anxiety over breathing issues. I would imagine however that an antidepressant is a very good idea as well.

It took my Chris a long time to accept an antidepressant, and it was only when it was suggested it may help him sleep better that he agreed. It did indeed help him sleep for the first time in 18 months! He said towards the end that he didn't feel it had done anything to help him. I say differently - it did take the edge of his awful outbursts.

We got a low dose of xanax prescribed. Hope it works and that it doesn't cause any issues!

that's great, xanax is a great anti anxiety med

if it's low dose, then don't fret, just use it for effect and be thankful if it gives relief. it's all about quality of life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back