Diagnosis
10/2017
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Northern
Can't find anything on this but was wondering if it's possible to lose the voice but still be able to breathe and swallow/eat? Also, has anyone here ever done voice banking?

I can only answer to the breathing question. Yes you can still breath even after you lose your voice, as long as your diaphragm holds up

I did voice banking with modeltalker. It's pretty cool. Haven't lost my voice so I don't have it set up for real. Alex

My voice is pretty much gone, people can't understand anything I say anyway. I can still eat and drink, being very careful not to choke.
Did not do any voice banking, when it would have worked for me I was undiagnosed and didn't have a clue about it.
Wishing I would have...the only recorded message I have is my greeting on my voicemail on my cell phone. A few weeks back I misplaced my cell phone, so I called the number to locate it......I heard my voicemail greeting and was crushed by hearing it. SAD experience:(

My voice is flat and largely unintelligible. I resort to yelling to be understood, and sending wifey off in a huff and all hurt.

My husband lost his ability to talk completely March 2013. He still ate up until February this year. He went on biPap in July due to CO2 buildup. I can't say he has any serious, life threatening breathing problems at this point, although he can't breathe well if he's flat on his back. He gets winded if he walks uphill or does anything that really exerts energy - like having a pillow fight with the grandkids! That lasted all of about a minute! But he still only uses the bipap about two hours a day watching TV. He never did the voice banking - his talking was so slurred by the time he was diagnosed, he didn't want to hear his voice that way. Like Mark, he still has his message on his iPhone with his old voice. Mark - I understand completely - hearing that message recently took me back, made me cry. Very sad. ��

Graybeard, I remember being the huffy wife, too! It was so hard to not understand and Tom thought I should. Lots of stress and tears during that time. Now that he's only able to talk with his iPad, notepads and boogie board, it's a world of difference! You may want to consider giving it up, it will make your household a lot calmer.

I heard my father's voice on their answering machine the other day. I know what you mean Mark.

I haven't been able to speak sense last July. I can still eat and drink but I choose foods that are are easy to chew. I have a dynavox with eye gaze for my speech.

in away i know what your saying . not as bad. on my cell if you call it. it says ,, if you don't get me im driving ,, tried to get that off there. can't drive no more. all i get is a hard time over it now. but you know what it's staying on it now. can't hold it any more but i know it will be there.

i have been having my speech going off, the words i say is not coming out right some time. i would have to go back over them. my voice ant the same ether and it is low to. i was thinking it was from getting older or to much on my mind. not sure if it's going or not. it took about everything else.

My voice is pretty much gone, people can't understand anything I say anyway. I can no longer eat and drink, but wen I do I am very careful not to choke. Swallowing is very difficult. No problem breathing. I did not do any voice banking, by the time I was diagnosed it was pretty much to late. If I had known in January what was to come I would have.

My dad is 80 and has limb onset. His voice is still pretty good. Sometimes, I store his messages that he leaves me just so I can always hear his voice. I live far away from him but talk to him at least once a day on the phone if not twice. I'm so worried that if he loses his voice that I won't have any contact with him.

My voice has started to go -- about 2 weeks ago it became really noticeable & especially when my daughter & son-in-law were here for Thanksgiving. I was using a Boogie Board - and LCD writing tablet - part of the time for short messages. I did voice banking with Model Talker but have only played around with it a little to see how it works - and to show my daughter. My husband's hearing is pretty bad - even with his hearing aids - so although it was a little comical the other day with my weak voice & his weak ears, communication is a concern. My swallowing is basically ok - I'm careful with water.
Dianne

DH sometimes has a hard time getting those words out - or too many at a time - then he chokes. :(

>I can still eat and drink, being very careful not to choke.

all right -- time for a burger and beer/soda! 1st bite is for me! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back