Diagnosis
10/2017
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Northern
Hi everyone. Does anyone know if applying for these benefits would negatively impact any benefit you get from Medicare? Thanks!

Shouldn't, but once he's in the va system the va will pay for everything. Meds, equipment, doctor visits, etc. I do know that his disability check he will get from the va does not count against ssi or SSDI.

Ditto that. Once VA benes kick in there's no need for Medicare.

The monthly VA pension will be a Godsend for your family- as are all the other benefits. You can't go wrong!

as a Vietnam vet, I have applied for VA benefit and love what they are doing for me.

Medicare is somthing you pay into, not a need based program like Medicaid, so no, VA benefits won't affect it. The VA is much more generous than Medicare, since it is healthcare rather than insurance, but you can use both. We have gone outside of the VA when my husbands needs to be seen quickly, as there is generally a wait at the VA--then we have his records sent to the VA doc.

If you are waiting for a compensation ruling, you can apply for the health benefits seperately. It take just a.couple of weeks to get approval and you dont have to wait for the comp approval to use the health benefits. You can schedule your appointments right away. I had to go with a power of attorney to the local VA hospital even though my husband was in the system to get him an appointment. Va has primary care type clinics all over that can save you travel but for als clinic they said it is at the main hospitals/centers. They are doing an intake physical with bloodwork for my husband then he will be referred to clinic at the va. Appt is Jan 8. Dont delay...the VA seems to be very good but even expedited its slow.

Oh the compensation physician that did an evaluation on Steve, told us to take his medical file with proof of als diagnosis to his va primary care doc for the referral. Sorry, I am sure many of you know this but the VA is a whole new world to me. Private insurance no problem but this works differently.

Just want to add this. With the va, if your pals has trouble getting to his appointments because of transportation problems, ie, he's in a wheelchair and doesn't have a transport van, they will provide transport to and from the appointment. You just have to coordinate it. Home visits are also possible

Go to PVA dot Org and contact your local rep. He got me enrolled with 100% service connected disability in just two weeks out of the Sandy Eggo VA regional center. They later made it retroactive to my date of diagnosis at UC Irvine. Service Connected goes to the front of the line, I believe. In case you didn't know, veterans have always had twice the rate of ALS as civilians, so for the last few years it has ben considered Service Connected.

Ditto that. Once VA benes kick in there's no need for Medicare.

Depends on your situation. We signed up for Medicare A (for free) and Medicare B ($100 monthly) so we would have the choice to see non-VA doctors.

We also had Medicare, Blue cross AND the Va! Once hubby started going to the VA hospital, doctors he never needed to use Medicare or Blue Cross or prescription coverage! In his 2 years+ of this disease! we never paid a dime for anything. A true blessing. Wish every ALS patient had that kind of coverage!

Graybeard you were lucky. We applied with pva help in September for va benefits and are still waiting. Although after the appointment a couple of weeks ago they said 30-90 days

Stephanie, it should be retroactive so- know it will be approved and your life (financially speaking!) will be easier. They are certainly dragging their heels on this.

Yes they are Donna! Everyone else seems to be on the two week approval time frame but ours is taking so long. It could be the odd presentation of disease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back