06/2014
Country
US
State
Tx
City
Austin
Spent the last 4 days in the hospital.
Had mentioned my wbc was over 20000. Had CT scan of abdomen which showed what they thought to be diverticulitis with abcess.
Next day they had an inteventional radiologist come in to examine me and drain it. After a minute he pulled me out, told me there was nothing he could do for me and that I had a hole in my intestine, which would need to be resectioned and have a cholostomy bag.
Within 2 minutes he was gone. Even the nurses and doctors at the hospital were agahst at the was he treated me.
GI doctors then looked at me and said no, I had no hole.
Meanwhile I was on IV antibiotics for 4 days, and my WBC went steadily down from 21000 to 16000 to 8800, so I obviously has some infection, probably outside the gi tract.
Meanwhile no one knows what really happened.
At the height of this I could not pee because of the infection pressure on my bladder. I can do that now, but my BM's have never returned to normal. Lots of gas, and many small pieces and some flakes floating. Sorry if TMI.
Through all of this I could not eat and have lost 3 pounds.
Weve been to the best drs and no one can tell me what I have, whether it will come back once the antibiotics stop, or even if its still there.
They say the only way is to open me up and take a look-I know I dont have the strength for that.
Camt even begin to tell you how down I am now.The pressure on my wife and daughter is immense too. Also I change insurance and the ALS clinic I have been goint to is not on the plan, everything is falling apart. I cant even have a normal case of ALS.

Oh Neil...
As if ALS isn't more than anyone can bear!
Words fail me, I can only send a virtual hug to you and your wife and daughter.

Oh Neil, so wish a ray of sunshine would come through the black clouds for you. You have courageously faced so much, can't even imagine how discouraging it's been for all of you. Wish I could send a bucket of extra strength to you - but please accepts hugs instead. Donna

Heads up, Neil. I think that, with your WBC going down, the antibiotics were the right way to go. You're gut is going to get better.

Gosh I am sorry for your troubles. I know that sometimes it just feels like to much all at once, and I wish I had some magic words to say to you and make it better or at least make you feel better.

Send good thoughts and hugs to you and your family...hang in there.

Neil you listen to Mike. Your gut will get better now. Don't forget to knock back good natural yogurt to get the good bacteria working again--that will help you have normal BM's again and address the antibiotics that kill of the good bacteria along with the bad. Sending lots of positive energy and good thoughts to you. Chin up lad. Keep us posted about how you are doing.

Neil: inconceivable! Must be related to the botched peg. It's open enrollment for individual plans. Maybe you could switch back to a plan the ALS clinic accepts. I've had this problem. No one seems to like Blue Cross around here. Best wishes for a continued recovery. Alex

Gosh, Neil I am so sorry. As if dealing with ALS is not enough to manage
. Hope Mike is right and you start feeling a bit better.

Neil,
Hang in there! Prayers and hugs are being sent your way. We care Neil. I agree with Mike that your gut will heal up. Love, Kim

Neil, I am so sorry your peg experience and now this bowel issue has gone so wrong...Can you talk to your health insurance and ask for an advocate? We have one and they help us find doctors who know what they are doing instead of the usual bozos. Iwould ask withyour new plan on Jan 1 to have the providers at clinic added as in network. We had to do this several times because of als not being treated by most docs. Above all, I feel for you and your wife and daughter. I know this is incredibly stressful for everyone. We are all here for you. If this is the same hospital that did the peg, I would send the hospital administrator a letter explaining everything. Maybe they can help.with some bills.

Thank you all for being part of my family. Im being fed through my tube as I type this-too weak to eat much by mouth.
I want you all to know how much you have meant to me PALS and CALS alike,

so glad you are getting some nutrition in Neil, we are family xx

I am so sorry for all you have gone through. Hope you can regain strength with feeding. Different scenario but my sister almost died after her feeding tube surgery. Now 3/4 year later she is still with us and in some ways better than before the tube.
Thinking of you...

Neil, so sorry for what you are going through. I have a hernia that is bothering me and when I mentioned it to the doctor at the clinic he just threw his hands in the air and said "what are goina do" Prayers for you and your family, please get nutrition.

Janie

So sorry Neil. I wish I had some great suggestions for you, but I don't. Sending prayers that you will resume your strength ! God bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back