You guys ever see a half-million dollar hospital bill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GilWest

Distinguished member
Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
01/2014
Country
US
State
WV
City
Southern
I have...YIKES!

OMG are you saying they have sent you a bill for this much? You have to pay this out of your own pocket?

I am so thankful to be in Australia with free public health care!

With all of the tests and a week in hospital I still have yet to see a bill. GOD I love being Canadian
Vincent

No guys, that was pre-insurance before plan discounts and benefit exclusions. I think our part of the whole thing was about $1500. Here in the US docs bill exorbitant amounts, but the insurance plan has a set amount that they will pay that doc (basically) and the doc has to take it because he agreed to accept that insurance plan (basically). For example, a part of mom's ICU stay was billed at 1,160, but after plan discounts the bill was only $272 of which the insurance paid 100%. Insurance is crazy...

I have been told that if you tell the hospital there is no way you can or will pay, and tell them take you to court, they will basically back away. Imagine the publicity they would get if that bill made the nightly news.
You can also ask them to itemize each part of the bill instead of grouping everything together. You have that right and that way they cant charge you $100 for an aspirin-no one would support that, especially a jury in court. We have gotten huge reductions by making the hospital do that.
Having said all that the system in this country is patently crazy.
It is supported by big pharma and the conservative senators and congressmen
it needs to be torn down completely. It is the shame of the civilized world.

My DPS and PEG surgery was over three hundred thousand before medicare and gap insurance. I think I'm hitting the million mark. For care over the last two years. What a crime

Oh yes! We saw those kind of bills when my mom had her breast/colon cancer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back