Diagnosis
10/2017
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Northern
Hi all. I'm trying to found out when/if DPS is a viable option and if it's available to anyone. Is it still in clinical trial? TIA!

I have had a DPS for over a year. It's approved by the FDA for compassionist use. There are several studies going on. I'm part one study. Some of the requirements for a DPS are that your FVC is over at least 50% and you have an active phrenic nerve. Speak to your neuro. To if it could be of useful benefit.

Patrick

Thanks Patrick. My dad goes to his first clinic on Friday and I want to ask about it.

Definitely ask and if it is something your dad wants push them a little bit about how to monitor him so that he does not miss the window of opportunity. As Patrick says there is a low limit where it won't work so you can't have it but they won't do it when your breathing is completely fine. I know too many PALS that wanted one but did not qualify. Some centers are doing ultrasounds to monitor the diaphragm

As Nikki stated the window is very small. So your diaphram and breathing will need to closely monitored. I had my DSP pute in when my FVC went down to 68% in a three month period. I got a BiPap at the same time. Ask questions and when you think you are done ask more.

Patrick

Went to Mayo and was so disappointed when Santa Joe did not qualify. Small window of opportunity.

Debbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back