Diagnosis
08/2014
Country
US
State
Az
City
Tucson
I'm wondering if anyone else has this crazy symptom. I feel like I have to yawn all the time and it's hard to complete the yawn. My oxygen levels are normal so is not a breathing issue. My neurologist said it's an ALS thing but didn't explain. I hate this symptom because I come of as so rude sometimes. It's also a frustrating feeling to feel like you have to yawn but can't catch it. If that makes sense!

Yawning was one of the first symptoms my husband had before diagnosis. It was just as you explain. He couldn't finish a conversation without yawning. I remember googling yawning to see what could be causing it. No answers, then fast forward a couple months when he was slurring his speech. I googled the two symptoms together and that was the very first time ALS was suggested. I was horrified. The rest is history.

Think it may have something to do with retaining co2. Probably yawning to get rid of it

My husband yawns all the time also and he gets so frustrated all he says is why am I yawning so much and I don't know what to tell him either,I am so glad to have found this site,it has been so helpful,more so then the Dr's or the ALS clinic.Thank you all for the very good advice you share.

I have the yawning also, along with crying. they are Psuedo Bulbar Affect or simply PBA. I take Nuedexta for it and greatly reduced the crying for no reason but hasn't helped much with yawning. :( It is troublesome especially when trying to talk, which is slurred already. I just tell people who don't know me that I can't help it, it's just another gift fromALS.

>I take Nuedexta

the VA just prescribed it for me for swallowing. any side effects for you?

Max, I haven't really had any side effects so far, just very good reduction in number of crying episodes, maybe slight improvement in swallowing, no help with yawning. Nothin bad so far, I would cross my fingers but i can't! :)

Not only did Chris have the yawning from quite early, but it was always a very vocal yawn which he couldn't control. The further he progressed the more the yawns would involve his whole body. It was kind of like watching a baby yawn - the eyes squeezed shut, hands clenched, arms pulled in towards the body ...

He said that for some seconds after the yawn he wouldn't be able to draw a breath in at all.

Affected, that describes very well! I call them Mega yawns.

>it was always a very vocal yawn which he couldn't control

I did too and it caused throat cramps -- they gave me Baclofen for the cramps and the yawns stopped, maybe coincidence :)

PBA! I've heard of the crying and laughing, but never the yawning! That's crazy! I actually got a cramp in my jaw the other day while yawning. ALS has already done a great number on my ego! Between yawning and clearing my throat all the time I've already had coworkers diagnose me with allergies and sleep deprived. So, there's a med for this! Good news! I have tried everything to stop, and I just end up making crazy faces! Is it possible to only have the yawning without the crying etc.

I try to grit my teeth, when I yawn my jaw locks and I have to push my jaw bone to get it to close, sometimes I get throat cramps, I am on 10mg of baclofen twice a day but no help.

Janie

>Between yawning and clearing my throat all the time I've already had coworkers diagnose me with allergies and sleep deprived. So, there's a med for this! Good news! I have tried everything to stop, and I just end up making crazy faces! Is it possible to only have the yawning without the crying etc.

yeeah, me 2 -- I only go in for 3-4 hours / week because of the coughing/gagging and I can't pull my pants up, so I have serious toilet angst :)

Max, I say wear a man skirt! Might start a trend! However, I guess we might be a little distracting! I'm apprised no one has asked if I have torrets! Is your voice affected from coughing etc?

>Is your voice affected from coughing etc?

no it is disintegrating on its own :-(

I do have trouble coughing/swallowing when trying to talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back