Diagnosis
06/2014
Country
US
State
Tx
City
Austin
I went in on Monday to have my PEG tube replaced with a button. As soon as I got out, I felt a great deal of pain.
When we opened the button blood gushed out.
Over the next 3 days things just got worse.
It turned out that the hospital did not stock buttons with long enough tubes for adults and the doctor did not measure me to find out how long a tube was needed.
Long story short, after stomach contents started to seep out from the skin opening and any injection in the button resulted in intense pain, I had to get checked into the hospital on Sat night and have a tube put back in. the doctor couldnt do in, so they had an interventional radiologist do it. it took an hour and I was told in another day the hole would have closed off completely.
Do NOT let a doctor put in a button unless he has measured you to see exactly how long a tube you will need and has checked that the hospital has these in stock, neither of which were done in my case.
Now I have to wait and see if I will develop an infection from stomach contents going into my body. Not to mention the exhaustion of 6 days of solid pain. And Ill get a 5K bill for all that!

good grief, I am so sorry! hope you don't get an infection.

They should pay you!

Be careful.

Neil, what you describ eis exactly what the nterventional radiologist said is the goal to avoid. They told us when scheduling a change out to tell them what size you have, its on the tube, so they can make sure it is.in stock. Kinda stinks they dont stock a range of sizes when they do these with regularity. I am so sorry this has happened to you. Hopefully once it is straight you will feel better with the button. Take care

Neil, you are overdue for a run of GOOD luck! First your peg tube was a problem, and now this! So, so sorry!

Im pretty much out of rejuvenating energy. I think if anything else goes wrong soon Im sunk. Can barely get out of bed anymore

I'm so sorry to hear that you had all that trouble with the Mickey, I'll definitely monitor my brothers as his wraps just put in mid last week,thank and I hope you heal quickly

Wow Neil, what you have had to go through with this peg. Two GI doctors have advised me to forget the button. They say buttons add complexity to the feeding and added chances for failure for no important benefit. I'm sticking with my tube. Make sure they give you lots of happy shots. 10mg hydrocodone pills are good too. Alex

Not only was the doctor negligent in placing the wrong tube, he obviously did nothing to confirm proper placement of the tube after insertion. That should have been done simply by putting water down the tube. That would have shown bleeding and been very painful and it would have been immediately obvious something was wrong. The McKey was not the problem: the doctor was grossly incompetent in what should have been a simple and safe procedure. I would not pay for the procedure. It was clear malpractice and he should be sued -- not something that I recommend lightly or for financial gain, but he needs to stopped before he harms others.

>was clear malpractice and he should be sued -- not something that I recommend lightly or for financial gain, but he needs to stopped before he harms others.

Ditto that!

I agree with Diane. It was stressed to us that they would flush.The button with contrast or water and xray it to be sure it was properly placed before my husband came out of the or.

Neil, sending wishes for healing. That doc put you through unnecessary h*ll. Diane is right about stopping him before he does further harm. Bet you wouldn't have any trouble at all finding a number of attorneys who would take him to task. True incompetence. If hospital administrators hear your story, can't imagine you'd ever get a bill--should only get an offer for any services to make it right.

Most important, though, is that you feel better. Thoughts are with you.

I am so sorry. This should never have happened as everyone says. And you should not suffer financially for this. You certainly do not want to go through the discovery process that a lawsuit entails, long depositions etc but on the other hand this is not a case that the other side will want to fight. They should want to settle it quickly. Depending on the size of the hospital there may be a whole risk management unit there that would deal with it. The doctor may have individual malpractice insurance too. While he is mostly at fault there will be institutional liability as well. Have someone write down the sequence of events in as much detail as you can now. I hope you can find a reputable lawyers who specializes in medical malpractice on the plaintiff side. I hope you feel better and no more complications allowed!

I am so sorry that you went through this. I hope that you feel a little bit better. Thinking of you.

Neil, maybe a quick email or a copy of what you typed her eto the hospital admin would be sufficient?!?!? Might be worth a try .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back