10/2017
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Northern
Could anyone tell me what this is? Thx!

Non-invasive is what we call using a bipap. Invasive would be having a tracheotomy and the bipap is set to different function settings and basically does the breathing for you. Non-invasive means no trach, bipap is used with mask of some type or as a sip and puff

Thank you. Do you know if people generally tolerate it well?

My bipap is a great aid. It was prescribed at diagnosis. After the first night I woke completely rested, for the first time in I don't know how long.

Be sure the provider knows how to set it for ALS. See the other threads on this.

I sleep so much better with my BiPap and I don't wake up with headaches.

Patrick

My husband can't tolerate the bi-pap at night, maybe because he is bulbar onset and has a lot of mouth, saliva, tongue issues, etc. but he wears it during the day watching television. That seems to work well for him.

I generally tolerate mine at night. My problem is if I lay flat I start chocking from excess saliva so I have to be inclined.

My husband has loved his since the first night. But he tried on several masks before finding the right one. That seems crucial--that it's comfortable. He kinda looks and sounds like Darth Vadar with it on (he went for "full coverage"), but he sleep so much better! (And so I do too.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back