Diagnosis
10/2017
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Northern
My father is starting to get anxiety when he can't take a deep breath and when he lies down. I think there's anxiety over going to bed because of this and he isn't sleeping well. He has a bed wedge to help prop himself up. I have asthma and have been showing him how to
Slow down breathing to address the anxiety but he's finding it hard to do. Any suggestions or tips?

Is he using a BiPAP? This made a HUGE difference for my PALS.

Jim

He will get one after a sleep study but it isn't until December. He currently has a Cpap.

Anxiety meds help but the bipap is the key

From what I understand, Cpaps generally are not good for pals. The constant pressure makes it hard to exhale. That's why we use a bipap, two different pressures. One for inhale and a much lower one for exhale.

From what I understand, Cpaps generally are not good for pals. The constant pressure makes it hard to exhale. That's why we use a bipap, two different pressures. One for inhale and a much lower one for exhale.

You are correct. If you can get a Trilogy, do so. It can do everything you need up to complete mechanical ventilation.

Want to add, with respiratory issues trying to use a cpap could very well cause anxiety as he will find it extremely difficult o exhale if his respiratory values are low

My PALS slept restlessly at night and would fall asleep multiple times during the day. She would even fall asleep in the middle of a conversation from time to time. She was also steadily losing weight, month after month... even though her diet had not changed. And she'd begun to notice that she was having difficulty breathing as she laid backwards towards a flat position. Her first neuro, certain she did not have ALS, would just shrug his shoulders at her breathing difficulties... only going so far as to test her ability to breath. As they tested her, fully sitting upright, they found no problem.

Her next neuro, an ALS research neuro at Johns Hopkins (Baltimore, MD), immediately jumped on those indications and ordered her a BiPAP (it was delivered to us the very next day). He said that he believed that her lung function was beginning to diminish and that, when laying down, gravity was making it more difficult for her to breathe. Not only was she not getting enough air "in"... but she wasn't getting enough carbon dioxide "out". As such (and particularly at night when she was prone) her body was trying to compensate and work harder trying to help her breathe. In essence, he said, it was like she was running in a marathon each night... burning excessive calories... and continuing to miss the sleep that she most needed.

From the very first day that she used the BiPAP (which helps her breathe air in and pulls CO2 out), her weight loss immediately halted. And the need to take naps multiple times during the day disappeared entirely. Now that she was sleeping well at night and breathing well when laying flat, she wasn't tired during the day. She also realized that the headaches she seemed to wake with each morning were no longer present... likely due to the reduction of CO2 buildup.

I am of the opinion that a good neurologist, who properly understood ALS, would not need a sleep study to know that a BiPAP was necessary...

Jim

Agreed Jim. Steve never had a sleep study just went to a bipap then after the pulmo who put him on it told him he wasnt sure how else to help an als patient and we got to clinic, his neuro has gotten him a trilogy. The resp therapist and neuro explained to me what to do if he has hard time breathing. You need medical professionals who deal with als. General med prof dont know what to do because they simply dont see it. Our resp therapist taught me how to adjust steves trilogy if he has different problems, offered suggestions on when to call clinic, etc. Of.course we can always call clinic but I try her suggestions first. Usually now a couple bad nights sleep or a lot of waking up is air hunger for him and I increase his volume a bit.

Go ahead and call the doctor. you don't have to wait until December. with als, things can change at any time and the doctors know this. he probably needs a bipap or trilogy, and many pals get avitan to help with breathing anxiety.

We didn't have sleep study to get one--Call on Monday!

What Barbie said...

I'll call Monday. Thanks!

He will get one after a sleep study but it isn't until December. He currently has a Cpap.

He does not need a sleep study. They are expensive, uncomfortable, and often lead to settings appropriate for people with sleep apnea and wrong for ALS.

He does not need to wait until December. Get him in to see a Pulmonologist by explaining that he can't breathe lying down and he hasn't slept for more than a few minutes at a time. Have the doctor check his O2 Saturation for 5 minutes while wearing a fingertip monitor while Iying down. He will flunk that test quite nicely and a BiPAP or Trilogy set for BiPAP function will be delivered promptly.

Why does he have a CPAP? If he had it for sleep apnea before he had ALS, it makes sense but still needs to be changed. If he was given the CPAP after the onset of ALS, do not continue with the doctor who ordered it. He/she is not capable of caring for an ALS patient. Get a Pulmonologist.

He has sleep apnea and has used the Cpap for many years.

CPAP doesn't seem appropriate for an ALS patient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back