Diagnosis
07/2012
Country
CA
State
B.C.
City
Salmon Arm
Over the last few months I have noticed that my husband's urine swings from very clear to being tea coloured in one day. I also have wondered if he was jaundiced as his skin has a yellowish hue when I massage the edema from his hands or feet. I spoke with a friend who is also a nurse, about it on monday, and she said that she had been wondering about it as well. He did not have any symptoms of a UTI, but I finally decided that I needed to bring him to his GP and have it and his blood tested. They dipped his urine in the office and found blood, and glucose in it, no leukocytes or indicators of a UTI. His weight was around 250 in May so I have decreased his caloric intake to try and bring it down a bit. His father was a type I diabetic and a brother a type II diabetes that went away with weight loss. Tim's ALS is so atypical that everyone seems to be at a loss as how to treat him. They want to also do a kidney and bladder scan to see if he has bladder or kidney stones. He has had back pain in the last week, but it is not in his flank area. I am feeling so frustrated and feel like I am spinning my wheels. He had a speech and swallow test the other day which he passed with flying colours, thankfully so he can manage his sip & puff vent well, but now I am worried about him having Diabetes or some other thing. AHHHHHHH!

Paulette

Paulette, sounds like they are testing for everything they can.
Diabetes is rough--like ALS is not enough on the guy's plate. Hopefully it could be controlled with diet for now--is he able to eat without any modifications?

I will say that my husband also has dark urine one day and light the next. some times all in one day. his pee is light all day and then super dark when he gets up the next morning...when he was in the hospital though they ran all the blood test and everything was good.

hang in there--what are the docs suggesting and what is their plan of action?

B

Paulette, Hoping you are getting some answers today. It is so frustrating waiting forntests and results. Steve , my pals, has diabetes but his sugar levels dont seem to vary. He burns calories so fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back