Diagnosis
08/2013
Country
US
State
NY
City
Orient
3 weeks ago I had an extensive clinic year to year evaluation and they said, and I reported here, I was progressing very slowly. Since then things have gone to pot in a hurry. I know there will be ups and downs so it isn't that.
I seem to have caught the flu or something with its related ache and fever. Nothing too serious. ..but my remaining arm and leg issues are really off the charts.

Does flu or severe colds etc. Magnify with ALS? Do we get sicker than normal?

Mediasmart, my opinion is that they accelerate ALS. Up until December last year my fvc was at 62. Caught an upper respiratory infection in February and it dropped to 21. Have gained back just 4 points to 25 percent. The infection was caught early and meds started but still dropped bad

>Does flu or severe colds etc. Magnify with ALS? Do we get sicker than normal?

imo yes

IMHO YES any flu or cold has the ability obviously to bring pneumonia, but more than that, it seems to hasten progression, just like you say - the body is thrown into battle mode and I believe it only takes more energy that was being used to keep you where you were at and so you go downhill in some way.

damned beast

"Damned beast" - makes me think it would be a good thread. How many different names could we come up with for ALS? Might be cathartic, too but probably x rated.

Sorry to hear you caught the flu or something. Did you get a flu/pneumonia shot?

> Did you get a flu/pneumonia shot?

there is a new pneu shot our ALS pneumo was insistant about ...

Called clinic and asked about the flu and pneumonia vaccines this year...they said yes definitely to the flu shot...pneumonia was our choice.

>Choose yes.

to both!

husband got the pneumonia shot at the hospital when he was in...they did not offer the flu shot.

Media smart--my husband is slow progressing, and he seems to go in waves--slow for 6-8 months and then speeds up for a couple and then slows down again. I believe any illness will only wreak havoc on your system more than normal...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back