Diagnosis
01/2014
Country
US
State
tx
City
houston
Hello. My mom was diagnosed this year with ALS. She started taking Lipitor a few years ago. One month after she took Lipitor her CK became elevated. She imediately stopped taking Lipitor but her CK kept rising. Two years of trying to figure why it was elevated, and a 6,000 CK later, prednisone and methatroxate brought it back down. During this 2 year time period, she started having trouble swallowing and talking. People believe and swear that Lipitor triggered ALS. Has anyone taken a statin drug out there that think the same thing?

Dunno what CK is. I've never taken any statin, and my total cholesterol has always been low: 108-160. I have bulbar onset also.

Yes...

there is info on the statin/als connection and a forum of the statin damaged

David

My husband had bulbar onset and had never taken any statins.

In fact, he had never been sick enough to have had blood drawn, didn't know his blood group, had never been in hospital except for stitches once after an accident with some glass.

He had never taken any drug stronger than an antibiotic in his life..

Thank you for replying. I truly believe if we all put our minds together we can figure this out.

Danyel, have never heard that theory.
My hubby is the same as Tillies. Bulbar onset, no statins, always been healthy. A neurologist told us the people who get this are almost always very healthy, and fit.

Welcome to Heartbreak Hotel, Danvel and David.

My blood tests are still good enough for a 19 year old, and I was fit for my 73 years.

David, do you know the McRae clan of Greatrace fame?

Dupe post, and I don't see how to delete.

Google spacedoc and then search the site for "statins and ALS"

Then check the forum there

David

When you go to the forum select "statins and other cholesterol reducing drugs"

the read the third from the top "relisting statin adverse effects symptom list"

The following is a list of potential symptoms of the many known adverse effects of statin drugs listed in general terms that the layman can understand . The Adverse effects that are described here are mostly from the UCSD study: “Statin Adverse Effects, A Review of the Literature and Evidence for a Mitochondrial Mechanism” published by Beatrice A. Golomb and Marcella A. Evans from UCSD

you will see this:

Rhabdomyolysis:
Rhabdomyolysis is the rapid breakdown of skeletal muscle. Pain, tenderness, weakness and edema (swelling) of the affected muscles may be present. Release of the components of muscle tissue into the bloodstream leads to disturbances in electrolytes, causing nausea, vomiting, confusion, coma and cardiac arrhythmias (abnormal heart rate and rhythm). Furthermore, damage to the kidneys may lead to dark amd foamy urine or a marked decrease or of urine production, usually about 12–24 hours after the initial muscle damage.

CK readings above 2000 qualify as Rhabdo

you will also see:

ALS or ALS like syndrome:
muscle weakness in one or more of the following: hands, arms, legs or the muscles of speech, swallowing or breathing, twitching (fasciculation) and cramping of muscles, especially those in the hands and feet
impairment of the use of the arms and legs, "thick speech" and difficulty in projecting the voice
in more advanced stages, shortness of breath, difficulty in breathing and swallowing

There is also a link to the study itself.

Then come talk to me about treatments

I've taken Lipitor and statins for 18 years. No problems.

My GP said statins do cause nerve damage, the difference is that when you stop them the damage is almost always reversible, and it is typically peripheral neuropathy, not death of all your motor neurons

I had heard and read a lot about that connection, my husband immediately stopped taking statins when he was diagnosed. Of course the horse was out of the barn by then. But everyone in my family (me included) stopped taking statins. Even one of his doctors implied there might be a connection (not naming anyone specifically).

no Lipitor and statins for my husband. he is healthy as a horse as they say...................... 'cept for this ALS chit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back