Diagnosis
09/2014
Country
US
State
Virginia
City
Virginia Beach
I'm recently diagnosed with ALS and have already found helpful information here on this forum. But where can my wife go to find out what she is in for? I'm really surprised there is not a link for spouses and caretakers. Or did I overlook it? Or should she just pick any link and chime in? I think she would love to know and learn what other spouses are dealing with and how.

There is a subforum lower on the page for CALS. CALS are carepartners of people with ALS. A good place to start but she can of course read all the subforums and if she feels the urge post on them. There are a number of CALS and former CALS here who would be happy to help her

Sunvista there is a Caregivers section about halfway down. If your wife posts in the current caregiver section we will certainly give her all the support we can.

They call us CALS - carers for someone with ALS :)

SunnyV, you should also contact your local ALS Association chapter. There is probably/possibly a group near you.

Okay thanks! I knew there had to be one.

>But where can my wife go to find out what she is in for?

tha cals subforum, but also youtube abc's of als is a good place to start ...

There should be an ALSA chapter in your area.

Happy to chat with her in private also. She won't be able to pm here for awhile so look me up on FB Amy Richard, Barrie ON Canada

I might suggest the"Pity Party" thread. Haven't been there is awhile but it is a place where I found the most strength. Please tell your CALS she is not alone. We will help her and hold her hand on this heartbreaking journey.

Debbie

Sunvista,

We are almost neighbors... being on 45 minutes away in Poquoson. While you do not yet have the ability to Private Message (PM), here, I do. I'll send you a PM so that either of you can communicate with either of us. Sometimes it is helpful to have someone (PALS/CALS) who is already further along in progression to talk to and ask questions of.

Jim

Welcome Sunvista, sorry you have to join us. please, encourage your wife to come on the forum. we will support her and understand all she and you are going thru.

Barbie

Sunvista,

We are almost neighbors... being on 45 minutes away in Poquoson. While you do not yet have the ability to Private Message (PM), here, I do. I'll send you a PM so that either of you can communicate with either of us. Sometimes it is helpful to have someone (PALS/CALS) who is already further along in progression to talk to and ask questions of.

Jim
Hi Jim - got your note via Nikki but no way to reply. Thanks for the thoughts. Be in touch sooner or later. I sent the forum link to my wife to sign up too. I'll tell her to keep an eye out for you in the CALS section.

I'm on a lot of web forums. Never seen one to restrict PMs.

Sunvista the restriction on PM is awfully important.

Those of us who are members here would be bombarded by DIHALS and all kinds of trolls if a member could just join and PM immediately.

Stay active here and you will have PM rights really soon :)

@Sunvista - Our Nikki is an absolute gem! Honestly, this would not be half the place that it is without her care and effort. Will talk to you when you are able and ready. I have started a few threads in the CALS area that address some of the challenges my PALS and I have had to tackle. And many others have posted there, too. There is an amazing amount of information available, here... and some outstanding people to help make sense of it if needed. I'm sorry that you've found yourself with the need to be here, but glad that you have elected to join in our discussions. And know that you are just as welcome to post in the CALS section as anywhere else...

Jim

Sunvista, I also sent you a pm for your wife. It probably didn't get to you. This is a wonderfully affirming, comforting place. No matter how caring our friends and families are, no one who isn't living this can really understand. Donna

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back