Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Tn
City
Cookeville
My brother was just diognosed with ALS.
his currennt symptoms is that he can't swallow.
Is scheduled to have a feeling tube implanted.
what just
kind of progression can we expect?

Unfortunately, none of us can answer that because progression is different for everyone. My husband has the bulbar form of ALS (swallowing was the first symptom and he is now totally on thickened liquids). After 2 years he can still walk and has no breathing problems but is slowly using the use of his arms. The most important thing is keeping his weight up and preventing falls. Glad you are there for your brother. He will need all the support he can get and this forum is a wonderfully supportive place. Donna

Welcome but I'm so sorry you have joined us!

Sadly we can't answer that question.

I read what Donna has said and it's amazing the difference you will find here in progression even within the same onset.

My husband had bulbar onset (swallowing and speech problems). It was about 9 months after the onset of speech slurring, jaw clonus (like teeth chattering) and problems with drinking water, til we were diagnosed. By then his speech was very poor, swallowing difficult and wasting and weakness in his arms. 11 months after diagnosis he gained his wings.

There are lots of things that can influence progression too. To help not speed progression:
eat LOTS of calories
avoid falling - I can't stress that strongly enough
conserve energy as much as possible

Notice I said to help not speed progression, rather than to slow progression. By this I mean, that a PALS may just be rapid progression anyway and you can't slow it. But you can avoid making the progression even faster!

There is good info in the Stickies at the top of the General Discussion About ALS/MND forum. See the attached graphic.

Attachments

• sticky.jpg
    sticky.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 261
Greg, great idea to SHOW how to find something like the sticky! It took me a while to figure out where to look when I was new to the forum, and suspect other non technological people have the same problem!
Tillie, your info was a graphic reminder of how different progression is, and I am DAILY thankful for my husband's slower progression (although he doesn't consider it slow now that his arms are becoming so useless!). And I continue to be thankful daily for people who understand and support us in this journey! It is a lonely walk, at best!

I prioritized these for you :):

#1>eat LOTS of calories
#1>avoid falling - I can't stress that strongly enough: DON'T FALL
#1>conserve energy as much as possible
#1 stay away from sick people, respiratory probs
#1 take vitamins, seriously -- you can get a list on here

So sorry Bewickersham! My husband started with ALS in his tongue, too, sometime in spring of 2011. He was diagnosed with Bulbar Onset ALS in February 2012. Of course we were concerned hearing that this type of ALS is largely faster progressing than the more typical limb onset ALS. But we are both thankful this is the path his illness has taken and he continues to be totally independent. He had a PEG tube put in November 2012 and it has prolonged his life since he stopped eating over a year ago. He has been able to keep his weight up with 6 cans of Wal Mart brand liquid nourishment "plus" and Benefiber added to 16 oz. of water per day. He can still walk without any aid, drive, type, play golf, mow the lawn and do light yardwork. Yes he misses talking, he lost that ability about a year after diagnosis. And more than that he misses eating. Now we are dealing with the reality that his diaphragm is affected. But he deals with the hand he's been dealt with courage and grace. No two ALS patients are alike, but here's a glimpse of someone who continues to thrive 3 years after first seeing symptoms like your brother. Blessings to you both!

>And more than that he misses eating.

Ditto that!

Yes Max, I never thought I'd hear that sentiment from him, he was quite the talker. But he has told me if he had the choice of getting talking or eating back, he'd choose eating! I don't cook anything that smells good to him, can't imagine the torture. He doesn't go in restaurants. Thanksgiving dinner is not cooked here. I avoid roasts and baking. Sucks for me but not anything like it sucks for him.

>Thanksgiving dinner is not cooked here. I avoid roasts and baking. Sucks for me but not anything like it sucks for him.

for me it is the opposite --- i can't eat, but i can grill!

It's much the same for me. I lost 66 pounds before being diagnosed and switching to the PEG. Eating and drinking are overrated.

Admittedly, I drool when I see the Panera ads on tv or smell good food. I sit with the family for meals and in restaurants, and may take a few bites once in awhile. Scrambled egg is good. I don't miss the sweets at all.

go to You tube and search out the ABCs of ALS...there are 3 to watch

>Admittedly, I drool when I see the Panera ads on tv or smell good food.

football games are really tough!

So sorry to be welcoming you to this exclusive club! My husband has bulbar onset and presented with shortness of breath, left sided paralyzed diaphragm, unexplained and unresponsive muscle cramping all over, and fasciculations. He was easily fatigued and had little endurance. He had lost 25 pounds.

What I have learned about als is that there is no set course on time or pattern. Some general things do apply. It seems like if you noticed a particular hand or foot giving you trouble that is where you lose function first. It generally seems to "spread" up a limb butnot always. It is a very aggravating disease because it does what it wants when it wants. Just when you think you are going to have a good few days, you may get surprised by changes from the disease. My husband is rapidly progressing right now. I hope your pals does not. Each day is different and you dont know what it will bring.

I try to get this site and read as much as I can. People have a wide variety of issues but the knowledge will help you to be prepared. Try to do as much preparation in advance as you can to stave off the crisis. Dealing with the crises are draining for everyone.

Ask any question you may have. Nothing is off limits here. It is a helpful and supportive group with lots of knowledge just waiting to be tapped. As you are seeing, each als patient is very different so sharing our paths always seems to help others, and it helps ease our burden too.

gooseberry, interesting you said it tends to spread 'up' limbs... That's one of the most difficult things with this disease I'm sure - both for us and for doctors and researchers - is huge differences.

For Chris it went 'down' all his limbs!

And yet, we can always find that with all the differences there are some definite similarities that always mark this as the same disease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back