Diagnosis
08/2012
Country
US
State
Midwest
City
Small town
Love the forums but at times feel like this is my Alzheimer's preventative as I try to figure out what various abbreviations stand for. Sometimes I'm successful ( like ROM=range of motion)
But other times don't have a clue! Ie FVC, IVIG. Understand it is more expedient to abbreviate but there should be a thread to decode all these for newcomers and those of us just guessing at the meaning. Yes, Max, I get IIWIS, and DIHALS! Saw a response today asking what CALS was so know others have this issue, too. Any Daniel Webster's out there to write a decoding thread?

Nikki has asked me to compile a list of these acronyms to put in a Sticky. So, if you would like to share some of those you use ( with their meanings of course!) I will gather them up to help our newbies. Thanks. Donna

a perfect example is another thread just up AFO - I think this is a great idea.

FVC=forced vital capacity-a measure of how well your breathing is holding up.

Took me a while to realise that when the OP was referenced it meant Original Poster :)

Usually if I am not sure I throw it into good ol google...

Nice to have a sticky with em so long as it can be edited by someone, guess would be you dear Nikki...

I remember seeing a thread with some of the more humorous ones several months ago. Example, rofl,cgu. Rolling on floor laughing, can't get up. But none of the more serious ones

My rule of thumb when at work:
You have to write out the phrase at least once per page if you are using acronyms

sometimes, especially when not work related it's more fun to just try and work them out IMHO :)

fubar is easy that refers to my body

That ones easy Max, even if it does contain a word that some people find offensive. Just like snafu

Should have known the guys would find a way to turn this into a joke! A big help you boys are! (Tillie, too!). So much for serious interaction- but this is way more fun IF I could figure out the bar part of fubar! Nikki, the kids are misbehaving AGAIN! Donna

>Should have known the guys would find a way to turn this into a joke!

not I ... I consider every post sincere ... ftbotwomh :)

FUBAR
Beyond All Repair --- In the maintenance trades
Beyond All Recognition --- Elsewhere

DILLIGAF

Thanks, Mike! Did you HAVE to join the bad boys with more unrecognizable acronyms! You are SUPPOSED to be one of the helpful people! Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back