Diagnosis
08/2014
Country
US
State
Az
City
Tucson
I was supposed to get orthodox for foot drop. Apparently they are only covered for diabetics. Anyone find anything else useful for foot drop?

Search foot drop brace on the web. You can buy for not that much ( as ALS expenses go) if you have a pt you could ask them if they recommend any particular one. As a stopgap Someone here was recommended cowboy boots I think! But if you are having foot drop you want to get something fast. Face plants are painful and so are dental bills!

I wear AFOs on both ankles, works for me. Just regular orthotics are not going to do anything for foot drop. Try to find an Orthotist in your area to be properly fit for AFOs. Physios and OTs tend to grab off the shelf stuff which is not as effective as custom made. Good luck
Vincent

I agree, it should be am AFO and they are normally covered under DME (Durable Medical Equipment) and covered 80/20. Your primary care Dr. should be able to refer you to one. Hanger Orthotics does a good job here in AZ.

Slopokahontas,

Something doesn't sound right about what your saying, I'd check again with the insurance. What you're looking for is an "AFO". That's an "ankle foot orthotic". I've also seen them called orthosis. Basically a brace. Not sure what that would have to do with diabetes. My AFO is made by Ottobock (manufacturer) and is a light weight carbon fiber model the VA gave me. I think they called it a "WalkOn" model. Not custom made but the foot part was cut with a pair of scissors to fit in my shoe.

BK

Sorry guys, it was for the AFO at hangers. My insurance only covers them for diabetics. I guess once I file for disability part will be covered but not sure how longthat insurance takes. Still a little warm for boots here in AZ!

Did you call and talk to insurance company and tell them you have definitive ALS diagnosis?
Maybe Kim can help you out with this, if insurance won't.
There are some fairly inexpensive AFO s that may work ok until you get on Medicare.

You are welcome to mine but I don't think you could fit it to you. I was going to contact Hanger to see if they wanted mine for teaching or demonstration purposes as I don't use mine any more. Mine is for the left foot, but I have a men's size 14. It may be able to be molded and trimmed, but probably not that much. Message me if you want to try. My wife and I like visiting Tucson or I could give it to Kim at the ALS support person for the next meeting and/or Walk.

You might also check at the local ALS clinic they might have some available for loaners

yes, touch base with your local ALS ascociation, they should be willing to help you in the interim while you are waiting for disability to come on line for you

Thank you for your input everyone.

Be welcome here though so sorry you had to join . You might want to look at the CALS threads as these show the problems that develop with us PALS. There are many people here who have answers and of course, understand the depths of despair that come with this horrible disease. I have come to rely on them even more than my doctors, who sometimes say things I know arent right because I'm on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back