Diagnosis
5/2014
Country
US
State
FL
City
Tampa
Does anyone have extremely dry skin? My pals has it on his face, hands, and arms in particular. Heavy creams and moisturizers help for just a little while but it really isnt itchy to him. No one thinks it is a skin condition like eczema or psoriasis and dermamyositis was ruled out when he was diagnosed. Just curious.

Haydens skin was ridiculously dry in the beginning. It got a bit better over the summer and with lots of cream, less showers helped too.

Some PALS reduce their fluid intake because toileting is such a problem.

YES.

This was a very strange one for Chris. He had always remarked on how he never got dry lips or skin (and he really did have the loveliest, softest skin!).

From well before true symptoms started he began to get dry itchy spots in the winter. Next winter when his bulbar symptoms were pronounced, more areas of this dry skin. Next winter and it was just awful especially how fast an area could just break out.

Our doctor gave him sorbolene cream with a cortisone in it that worked the best of everything we tried.

yup dry skin, never like that before. I think it must have to do with the lower circulation as well as the other thoughts posted too

Steve drinks an incredible amount of fluid so I dont think fluid intake is an issue...around 100oz a day. I use body butter on him and shea butter and within a couple of hours we are back to flaking off and drt scaley patches. His skin has never been like this. It is continuing to get worse as his disease progresses. Will have to ask at the next appointment.

Couldn't imagine with my PALS fluid intake that dehydration could be a problem. But, I am wondering as I think about it more since his breathing is so bad....urine is normal but...

Grumpy also has extremely dry skin. He even started it get it under his mustache and it looked awful. He shaved it off two days again as I cried. In the 20 years we have been together I have never seen him without it. He said that it was too hard for him to trim and he didn't want me too have to do it.

beard and mustache are easier to manage than staying clean shaven. He will probably grow it back--don't fret!

my husband doesn't have dry skin, but he did have a period of time when his scalp itched like no body's business. I tried all kinds of over the counter stuff, but in the end just would scratch and scratch for him. the problem went away by itself.

I agree with Barbie, Chris kept his short beard and I think it was easier to just apply cream than to be shaving him.

He also had the itchy scalp. I was lucky that my pharmacist took a real interest in Chris and would come and talk long with me about issues like the skin itching and other small things. I would photograph things I had concerns about.

It turned out that we also got lots of little fungal things going on. For the itchy scalp he got me to take a shampoo that had a fungicide in it, and finally the itching was resolved.

Cortisone in sorbolene cream for the general skin itching, and then different fungal creams for other 'bits', and the shampoo.

I'm sure part of it too comes to a matter of debriding. All day, normally, our skin is getting rubbed against stuff, even just our own skin, and it helps clearing dead skin cells. As a PALS becomes less and less active and unable to touch themselves, I think this affects the skin. OK it's just something I often wondered about watching Chris skin as he just never had anything like this before and had always been so active.

Also he became so much more sensitive and I think it's the same kind of thing. Before ALS he ran cafe's and he was always burning himself, holding and picking up really hot things, and little cuts and scrapes. After he stopped doing all this he became more and more sensitive to heat and cold also, not just his skin but his mouth. He could put anything nearly boiling hot in his mouth as a chef and not blink. Suddenly I had to be very careful of temperatures of foods or drink for him.

can't believe that one went to Mod, Max when my post comes through, feel free to search it for your list of bad words ;)

Joe had dry skin also especially in his beard. The home health CNA that would bathe him, lathered him with lotion. The 4 days she wasn't here, I would apply lotion. I kept his beard trimmed because of the trach but brushed it everyday due to the dry skin. Of course he hated me doing that. I would apply A & D ointment to his pressure points - heels and elbows and that would eliminate breakdowns due to being bedridden.

Debbie

we use Balmex which is very nice for irritations--

Same problem here
A visit to the dermatologist was all it took to obtain scripts for lotions that really work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back