Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
Texas
City
SomewhereNice
Can anyone offer any insight into advantages/disadvantages of eye gaze vs impulse switches?

I think of it as maybe try mouth, foot or head mouse first, then if/when those don't work, some kind of twitch switch, then eye gaze if/as progression dictates. But that really depends on what is most comfortable/possible for a given person.

And of course voice recognition as long as there is voice. If you can be more specific about the abilities of the PALS and the devices/computing platform s/he seeks to access, we can prob be more helpful.

My PALS only has movement left in two fingers. She has a Macbook Pro but would be able to adjust to Windows. If she loses movement in her fingers, my concern is that it would be annoying to have a switch stuck on her face or head. However, I have read that eye gaze can be fatiguing and has a learning curve also. I just want the transition to be as easy as possible.

Thanks for your help!

>However, I have read that eye gaze can be fatiguing and has a learning curve also.

damn straight. frustrating too. but it works re-markedly well with practice and patience.

We learned that eye-tracking is something that must be practiced. A PALS should be fully proficient in a mode of communication BEFORE they run out of ways to say "N-O-A-I-R"

On the lighter side, my wife's final words to me, spelled out using a cardboard letter board, was I-T-C-H-B-U-T-T.

That always makes me smile.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I will just wait and see what my PALS is receptive to.
Atsugi - So glad you have that good memory. Sometimes I feel like a smile and a good sense of humor is the only thing keeps us sane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back