Diagnosis
5/2014
Country
US
State
FL
City
Tampa
Has anyone noticed a change in how they smell? I know it sounds weird but my husbands normal smell has become pungent.....and not in the best way. We are getting him in the shower daily. This change happened before the peg tube surgery .

yes

there could be a few causes, often it is oral hygiene.

I found that it became even worse after the peg.

Once Chris allowed me to begin doing his mouth for him, and when he would allow me to do it TWICE a day, the smell truly became far less or went away.

Sadly he resisted so many things being done for him. I found that he wouldn't let a lot of the care staff brush his teeth for him when he had his morning shower. He would often say I needn't bother doing them for him at night.

With so much muscle wastage in the mouth and tongue, they really do need careful attention to oral care or the smell seems to infuse the whole body. I really thought at first it was not his mouth, but a few days of good attention to it and ta da ...

I agree with Tillie. Joe was on a vent and oral care was so important. Started off brushing his teeth 3 times a day. Towards the end it was once a day if lucky. You're doing a great job.

Debbie

I noticed a strong smell from my left armpit (which is the side affected by als) my right is normal.

acesjr68 that's another good point and possibility.

Fungal infections are also very common for some reason. Probably because of the lack of ventilation for the skin. The cleaning and especially then drying of paralysed areas is so important. Please get your armpit checked it could be fungal.

Chris perspired a fair bit once he had ALS. I mention this because he just did not ever seem to perspire much at all, middle of summer working outside all day - I would be dripping wet and he would be dry. This made him even more susceptible to fungal issues. In his last 4 months or so we battled this constantly :(

Thank you....I can see this will take some "investigation", but at least I have some places to begin. Just need to get a handle on it before it gets worse.

Another cause could be a sinus infection it can manifest into bad breath. I often know when my caregiver has a sinus infection before he does.

I never have sweated much when others were and still don't. My armpit smells after a shower, even scrubbing doesn't help.

A year ago my husband had a terrible smell. I think it had something to do with his PEG. It was almost unbearable in the car, even the grandkids noticed it. I passed it off as manure in a cow field we had just passed by! They bought it! Over time it went away, I honestly don't know why he had it or why it disappeared. Glad!

The smell is getting better. Gold bond powder to the rescue!

hey that's great, I had to google what that is though :)

I love some of the really old stuff like that, I have a couple of real old style creams or lotions that work amazingly.

Way better than cortisones!

Tillie, This stuff is magical. It seems to fix most external issues. Lol. Steph

So glad you brought up this subject. My PALS, not on a peg - yet, has developed a kind of garlicky strong smell. Wonder if it's from his magnesium or other supplement, but he's not on many. Normally could shower every other day, now needs daily. Normal diet so I wonder if related. No fungus or other skin issues.

Sherry

Hi dreamsend, I found that my husband had some areas he couldnt dry adequately after he showered and used the toilet. He didnt want to say anything but he ended up with an inflamed deep cyst that had ruptured and jock itch. Had to go looking to find the problem since he didnt want to tell me. Thought I had too much on my plate.

Drying thoroughly can't be taken seriously enough.

With limited movement, any dampness left after showering can cause big problems over a period of time - gooseberry ouch!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back