Diagnosis
06/2014
Country
US
State
Tx
City
Austin
I have started coughing up green stuff and need to get some antibiotics to try to head off pneumonia. Which ones are safe for als patients? We are being denied service inclinics-put on perpetual hold when told I have ALS

put this in wrong forum before

I would think any of them are safe for pals as long as they're liquids. Just watch for drug interactions. They gave me one in February that was the foulest tasting stuff you can imagine but can't remember the name of it.

Don't take doxycycline. Speeds up progression. Otherwise like Dalvin said what they recommend, you can swallow and does not interact with your meds

And don't wait too long. If nothing else go to the ER. This is not something to play around with. I lost roughly 40 percent on my fvc because of an upper respiratory infection,

Mom had IV Vancomycin, Leviaquin, and cephapime. I believe that all of these are available for oral intake.

On another matter Neil, how's that left shoulder? Hope that you were just having a bad shoulder day. My functioning is worse on colder days. Agree that you had better get into an urgent care office to tend to the current problem. Alex

well got azithromycin hope that doesnt do anything bad

Unfortunately Alex a cold day here is 90.
I had to hold both hands out parallel for a chest xray and I almost couldn't do it even for a few seconds with my left hand. My wife had to steady my arm.
On the bright side they saw inflammation but no pneumonia yet. Does anyone know if albuterol is bad for ALS patients?

>Does anyone know if albuterol is bad for ALS patients?

my ALS pulmonologist has me taking it via nebulizer for pneumonia -- makes my hands shake and my heart rate scream ...

>Unfortunately Alex a cold day here is 90.

hah, come to houston to warm up!

:)

As Max says "ALS sucks"

I have a renewable prescription for albuterol, both for the nebulizer and a rescue inhaler. Can actually make breathing easier since it opens up your lung and bronchial tubes, your diaphragm doesn't have to work as hard to get air in

well I got the full report back today-they say lung fibrosis or collapsing tissue. Thats not good. Especially the fibrosis

I'm sorry, Neil. That is really shitty news.

It sounds like the interpretation was an area of fibrosis vs atelectasis? That can simply mean you did not/ could not take a deep breath or if fibrosis it is generally scar tissue from an old pneumonia. An area of fibrosis is not the same thing as having the disease pulmonary fibrosis. Do you want to post the exact wording both of the description and impression? We might be able to reassure you better. Maybe?

I dont know if it will help but at clinic the respiratory people said the cough assist machine can deliver up to 40 units of pressure to inflate the lungs. This helps break up some areas of atelectasis. My husbands whole left lung and the middle lobe on the right shows atelectasis and they felt this could be a big help. They said you have to work up to it since most bipaps only go up to 20units of pressure. Sorry I cant remember the pressure measurement. He will start using it 4times a day 3-5 breaths per session.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back