Diagnosis
06/2014
Country
US
State
Tx
City
Austin
I was prescribed omeprazole for GERD by the gastroenterologist who is going to do my g tube but looking at drug interactions omeprazole (prilosec) decreases the level of rilutek in the blood-not good for ALS. Any ideas of what to do?

I take a PPI two times a day (Nexium) plus a drug called Remoran (sp?) for GERD. Didn't know they were contraindicated for Riluzole. Very interesting.

Do you mean Remeron Alex? Thats an SSRI. Interestingly I find no interactions between Nexium and Rilutek

Remeron is not an SSRI. It's a TeCA.
But anyway, you may be better off w/ pantoprazole (Protonix) in terms of PPIs. It's a weaker inducer of the enzymes involved in any riluzole interaction (which is putative based on mechanisms, not empiric studies). Same effects on GERD.

Generic name is metoclopramide.. It can have some nasty side effects but I've been ok with it. Alex

you are correct lgelb my mistake, Remeron in not in the SSRI class although it is used for the same types of symptoms as SSRI's

Ah you mean Reglan Alex

They both start with rs. I think I take both of them. One at night for sleep and appetite enhancement, the other three times a day to aid in stomach emptying and GERD. Sorry. Alex

I have taken gerd meds for a long time. My gastroenterologist has always told me to stagger them by 2 hours from any other med so they don't interfere with absorption. I take the Gerd med once a day in the middle of the afternoon.

Oh my, did not know that. Tom is on both - omeprazole is for the bleeding ulcers he was hospitalized for in March. So far I can't say I see any more rapid progression. Then again, does Rilutek really make that big a difference?

>Then again, does Rilutek really make that big a difference?

hope so :)

> Then again, does Rilutek really make that big a difference?
Hard to tell. But better to take it 'just in case' than to lose the chance....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back