Diagnosis
06/2014
Country
US
State
Tx
City
Austin
I just started using the Trilogy 100 for nighttime breathing. I use the nose only mask and I have a question. When I breath out, although I am breathing through my nose and my mouth is closed, some air gets to my mouth and escapes through my lips-waking me up. Is there a way to avoid this?

Chin strap, ask at clinic. If your not claustrophobic, that or the full face mask will work better.

Even mouth breathers (my husband is one) can often use a nasal mask if the settings are optimal, esp. expiratory sensitivity setting (how soon the IPAP drops to EPAP), min/max inspiration time and what the EPAP is. A chin strap may work but can be uncomfortable, so it's worth playing w/ the settings first. In particular, make sure your minimum inspiration time is no less than a second. Short, shallow breathing can increase the rate past what your nose can deal with, causing the escape through the lips. Breaths that are too long can increase the volume, causing the same effect. Clinicians can set Vt higher than it has to be, so check that setting if AVAPS is enabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back