Diagnosis
01/2014
Country
US
State
WV
City
Southern
Anybody else dealing with these demons from hell?

Mom has one right on her tailbone that WILL NOT HEAL. They are using special dressings (MEDIHONEY), turning frequently and using a rotating mattress on her bed. They told me today that it had gotten worse after telling me for three weeks that it was getting better.

Last edited:
Are you familiar with Roho ? There are mattresses with Roho inserts for just such issues. Is the Pals in a wheel chair with tilt to allow position changes? There are also air-flow mattresses. These are some options available, but expensive options.
Vincent

Will look into roho inserts. She is on a mattress that alternates pressure and is turned every 2 hours, but It will not heal.

How is her general health? Is dampness (incontinence) an issue? Can you change the speed or firmness of the mattress? Some times the fabric on the mattress can shift allowing the person to fall between the baffles. If she's in a home is her room mate unplugging the bed to get rid of the noise. Lots of reasons could explain the problem. Just trying to come up with some ideas for you to try.
good luck
Vincent

There have been some issues, but she went from a stage 1 to a stage 3.

Vincent asks excellent questions - dehydration, high muscle wastage, poor nutrition, amount of time she has been bedridden, continence issues, age, sheet fabric used, do they really turn her OFF the bed sore frequently or just lessen the amount of pressure (and if incontinent does she lay in urine for an hour or more because she isn't checked except 2 hourly to be turned).

Pressure ulcers are a true threat to all PALS once they cannot reposition themselves, they are best prevented as treatment is difficult.

My Chris had a threatening pressure sore on one buttock for his last 6 months or so. I would work hard on it by having health professionals really go on at him about it and nearly get rid of it, then he would refuse to be repositioned off it again (he had FTD). In his last weeks it broke down and became an actual sore, but his breathing was so compromised he could not tolerate anything but a pillow or wedge to just relieve pressure a tiny bit. I still shudder to think what was going to happen with it had he not been set free altogether when he was.

Deb has talked of this in depth, if you check either posts by her, or read through the pity party thread in the CALS section ...

We have a nurse that takes care of nothing by bedsores. The location is difficult because of moisture. Mom does not like to be turned on one of her sides, but she does not refuse except every do often. She had not lain flat on her back for weeks. There was some problem we had from a c diff infection brought on from antibiotics from a bladder infection that was caused by her catheter getting clogged. They said the c diff infection has caused problems that caused this last break down.

C diff is scary, rampant in hospitals here. Glad she made it through that atleast! If you have a wound care nurse she should be able to get it Under control if that's even possible. I've heard of people living with them unhealed for years and years, nerves go dead when it gets to a certain stage, and so no pain anymore. Just need to stay infection free!

dang Gil, that is awful! I hope you are meeting with the would care nurse and staying on top of them.

Seeing a surgeon next week. The sore is not that large or deep, but I insisted that it has to get better and am willing to try anything. The c diff is still hanging around, so I am keeping my kids away from her for the time being.

I hope they can get this healed up for her

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back