Diagnosis
01/2014
Country
US
State
WV
City
Southern
How are you managing the joint stiffness that comes with immobility. Mom's shoulders are starting to worry me. I do not think the range of motion the health aides are doing is enough, and she will not let me work with her. She yells like I am killing her and gets angry. Her doctor says the stiffness is inevitable.

We used many things to combat pain from stiffness.
ROM exercises, massages, frequent changes of position, a rotating mattress, and medication.

Work it anyway, but gentle. my CNA does it for him everyday, and I do it first thing and last thing every day.

You may be doing it too roughly--as it is painful as they get stiff. the way I work my husband, I push very slowly until he winces or moans and then immediately back off. Over time, you can stretch farther if it is done on a daily basis, but it will never be like a normal person. so have a code with her and stop when she says. if you do that but several times a day it will really help. Also maybe give her a motrin or aleve before hand. We also had a massage therapist come regularly for a while and that helped a lot too.

I once tried a heating pad on the shoulders before stretching and it seemed to help. She is in a nursing home and her chart "says" they are doing ROM exercises when they dress her, but I do not think they are being thorough with it. I am in between a rock and a hard place. I cannot bring her to my house because her illness really upsets my 3 small kids and taking her to her own house would cause me to have to basically move out of my house and in with her.

you could hire an out side massage therapist to go to the nursing home weekly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back