Diagnosis
05/2012
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Hillsdale
My mom who has been suffering from ALS for 2 years (started as bulbar, but now is generalized) is getting to a point of not being able to get in and out of bed. She would like to get an adjustable bed. She absolutely refuses to get a hospital bed (had experience with her parents when they needed it, and did not find it comfortable). She would like a full size matrass (as opposed to twin). Can anyone recommend a specific commercial adjustable bed? I would like to have the capability to lift the entire bed, not just the head and the feet, but it seems that the commercial beds don't have a capacity to do that. Anyone found a bed that is not hospital bed, but is able to go up and down? I am going to sleep number store, they said depending on how big the matrass is inflated, this could effectively either make it higher or lower, but the frame doesn't move up and down. I looked through threads before, but still not clear on what to do. Thank you!

>I looked through threads before, but still not clear on what to do

when turning becomes an issue, the ProBed seems the best albeit expensive choice ...

Inna,

You mention that you want a bed that can raise and lower. May I ask what you anticipate that capability will do for you? The idea of a Sleep Number bed raising or lowering dependent upon one's inflation choice is laughable. You'd be talking what?... and inch or two difference?

I think it is important to understand the likely progression that your Mom will be going through. First, she'll be unable to get in or out of bed by herself. At some point, she will not be able to sit up in bed or turn over without being able to pull on something. And this is closely followed by not being able turn over even if she has something to pull on (she won't have the strength to grip and/or pull). And at some point, legs just quit working and are of no help in anything. For some (as with my PALS), this progression may only be a matter of months.

We got a very basic hospital bed (as provided by insurance) in the fall of 2013. My PALS (wife Darcey) tried it for a couple of nights but didn't like it. It would raise/lower the following - Head, Feet, Bed. We added a 2" thermal foam mattress pad and then pushed it out of the way for the next 6 months. She, now, can no longer turn on her own... cannot sit up... cannot move legs... and can barely move arms. The hospital bed which once seemed too small (twin) is now perfectly sized. Once she's in a position, she can't move until I move her again. So having a larger bed would make no difference to her (or her ability to sleep) but WOULD make a difference to me as her caregiver. The wider the bed, the more difficult I believe it would be for me to place her, turn her and generally get her comfortable.

Realize, however, that this is our story... and may or may not, in part or in whole... apply to your Mom's situation. I hope, however, that you are able to find something in this narrative that helps.

My best to you...

Jim

I'm looking at transfer master beds. Check them out. They seem to have everything you're looking for. Alex

I looked into master transfer bed -- looks great, and appears very comfortable -- great customer service, but there is no feedback from ALS patients about it -- was hoping to get some insight. Thank you!

No comments on the bed, but an inflatable mattress that changes the points where it supports you every few minutes is a great help in any case. Before getting that, my wife had to shift or roll me every few minutes, now I can sleep the entire night in a half-sitting position without having to disturb her all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back