04/2014
Country
US
State
VA
City
Poquoson
Greetings, All !

My PALS is nearing the end of the effective use of her hands. Her world will close in much too quickly if she loses her ability to communicate on the internet. As her voice has only minimally been impacted at this point, Dragon Naturally Speaking is certainly a viable option. But I'm also beginning to hear the first indications of weakness related to vocal abilities. From what I've been able to ascertain, one can use "voice banking" to help compensate for one's loss of voice capability... and computer connected eye tracking devices for local (she to me) and internet (her to the world) communication. As most methods will require some type of learning curve, I'm wondering if it is in one's best interest to jump directly into some type of eye gaze/tracking mechanism. If so, I have some questions that you might be able to help with...

(1) Is such technology covered by most insurance?
(2) If covered, what criteria must be met for such coverage to be allowed?
(3) What technology seems to be the easiest to utilize for local and internet communications?
(4) What are you using that works for you?

I only list the above questions so as to be able to begin this conversation and to provide some of the curiosities that I already have. Any participation and input, at any level, will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Jim

I recommend practicing the eye tracking technology as soon as possible, as there is a slight learning curve.

>I recommend practicing the eye tracking technology as soon as possible, as there is a slight learning curve.

Ditto that! understatement :)

Agree with the practice of eyetracking asap. It is tiring so if you do it when you can still use other methods part of the time worth it
Payment for a device with internet access is a huge issue. Medicare issued very cruel new rules that basically say you can't use your device for internet access only for speech. If you hack it and they find out they will confiscate. The incredible cruelty of this rule is beyond belief. If you have other insurance find out their policy. If it does not now mirror medicare it probably will soon. What is she using now? There are a couple of cheap or free applications that rely on head movement but once your neck goes you are back to square one. Another option is to watch for second hand one for sale and to check with your ALSA

Not to be a rabble rouser but I wonder if a bunch of us should file a class action suit against Medicare for violating the Americans with Disabilities act with these new rules? Seems like that's the only thing they understand much like the Jimmo suit for not covering procedures if there wasn't a reasonable chance of improvement.

>Not to be a rabble rouser but I wonder if a bunch of us should file a class action suit against Medicare for violating the Americans with Disabilities act with these new rules?

Neil, looking for windmills? try the ffda :)

Go for it! I'll sign up ...

I think the whole Tobii system on my PC was about $1k, while the Tobii system was $16k ...

whats the FFDA? Are you saying you can get an eyegaze system for 1k? Thought they were more like 20-30K.

>whats the FFDA?

the ****ing FDA

>Are you saying you can get an eyegaze system for 1k? Thought they were more like 20-30K.

I have both -- the pc kit just sticks onto the bottom of your monitor -- same sw as the tobii system unit. I'll try to get pics ..

here are the pics, havd to shoot from hip :-(

the next to last is best of the pc tobii

Attachments

• DSC_1683.jpg
    DSC_1683.jpg
    423.1 KB · Views: 364
  • DSC_1684-2.jpg
    DSC_1684-2.jpg
    419.6 KB · Views: 313
  • DSC_1685.jpg
    DSC_1685.jpg
    362.9 KB · Views: 278
  • DSC_1687-2.jpg
    DSC_1687-2.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 320
  • DSC_1688.jpg
    DSC_1688.jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 328
  • DSC_1690.jpg
    DSC_1690.jpg
    478.7 KB · Views: 332
  • DSC_1689.jpg
    DSC_1689.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 318
Thanks Max-I actually don't think the FDA is the problem here for once-its the dame Medicare bureaucrats. They need to be shamed publically for what they have done or else nothing will change it will just get swept under the rug there are just too few of us and we are always dying off.
I really think a lawsuit is the only way to get them to reverse direction.

Jim we used an iPad and jelly bean switch and text to speech app for the talking part.

Displayed the iPad on the TV using an apple tv.

Jelly bean switch can be tapped using any part of the body - finger, elbow, knee, foot, head...

Far cheaper but still the same kind of learning curve.

If you have an iPad now turn on the accessibility feature to tap anywhere and get Darcey to start using it that way. This will give her an idea of what it will be like (the switch works the same way and the eye gaze systems do too).

I'm not certain but I believe the new IOS will start using the webcam on the iPad to imitate eye gaze.

I have Medicare and supplemental insurance that cover the the monthly rental on my dynavox (aka Mae West) I don't have internet it is a stupid Medicare rule. But after 13 months it will become mine and I can turn the internet on. I a speech therapist come to my home twice a week to help me train on it and add the short cuts I want. Because of the new Medicare rules we had to jump through a lot of loops to get all the approvals required. If speech and the use of your hand are beginning to be an issue start the process now. Mine took 2 months.
I can get frustrated with it but I practice a lot and I'm getting better at using it.
Hope this helps.

Patrick

More rules start next month. After that time, even after 13 months you will not be able to use the internet or any other connective technology. That is my understanding

tillie can you explain the ipad-we just got one. What is a jelly bean switch and an apple TV? How do you set them up?

also how do you turn on the accessibility feature?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back