Diagnosis
06/2014
Country
US
State
Tx
City
Austin
I was sleeping last night when I suddenly woke up unable to get any air in. I would gasp for breath only to have a loud eeee sound come out of my throat when I inhaled. It must have taken 30 seconds or so before I could breathe normally again. What happened and is there any way to prevent it from happening again? It felt as if I was suffocating.

Laryngospasm? Happens to me every now and then. Vocal cords close and the more you try to inhale, the tighter they get. Swallowing air may help, or trying to push some of the remaining air out from the lungs and then inhale as gently as you can. Also bending the neck backwards is supposed to help.

It is a reflex to prevent water from getting into the lungs and is triggered e.g. by mucus dripping to a sensitive spot in the throat. Even as a kid I was unable to let chocolate melt in my mount because I always got that. It was pretty scary before learning the tricks to get air flowing again (happened less than a year ago).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laryngospasm

Last edited:
Thank you-thought it was ALS related. I sure hope it never happens again that was really scary

It happens to me a lot. I think it's guard related and heart burn. It can also be painful

Neberhahe...what is your name, we need to know cuz you are becoming a major player here?

On your question, that only happens to me when I aspirate food, liquid, or phlegm... Maybe you aspirated something in your sleep? Just another possibility.

>Laryngospasm

scary as hell, try to relax ...

The good thing is that it does not last long enough to be dangerous to an adult. Once you know what you are dealing with it is easier to keep calm and not gasp in panic which only makes it tighter. Just blow and wait and it is over soon enough.

That is something I am certainly NOT looking forward......

A video explaining the phenomenon.

A month ago, at the beginning of my pneumonia, I had a day of constant coughing and got a laryngospasm from coughing every ten minutes or so. Had a good opportunity to practice countermeasures to the extent that I no longer fear them.

> Just blow and wait and it is over soon enough.

makes 1-2 mins like 1/2 hour :-(

odd, tho, thinking about it ... They used to hit me 2-3 / week, at least once. but not for several months. not complaining!

Yes, these were an early symptom for Chris as very minor spasms and I could never quite work out what they were, well before he even started slurring.

They became larger, longer-lasting spasms later on and definitely the trick is not to panic in order to calm the whole episode down.

Crap for the CALS to watch, but Chris did become good at the calm breathing to prevent it becoming something even scarier.

that sounds like when my allergys made phlegm so much that it cut my air off or at times coughing swelled throught up so i had to relaxe to let it calm down then i could breath have air filter in house that helped decrease my phlegm

My wife was freaking out, well so was I-good to know countermeasures-this group has so much information. Hope it isn't a prelude to losing my voice like it was for Chris Tillie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back