Diagnosis
06/2014
Country
US
State
Tx
City
Austin
I have posted about fears lately, now I want to share a touching story.
My wife and I went to an elder care attorney to get our (my) affairs in order. Do not resuscitate, powers of attorney etc.
During this time I discussed with the attorney what people with ALS experience physically, emotionally, financially, and how most people who don't have it aren't even aware of what that diagnosis means, much less what it does to PALS and CALS.
As we were leaving she said to me "have a good death", not have a good day or see you later-she really got it.
For some reason I started to cry-it felt so good that someone understood.

> "have a good death"

odd, interesting, curious ... and, hopefully true ...

And now I'm balling..thx : ')

Most of us share a magnified emotional dynamic....I have to keep things superficial when I discuss ALS with other people. I think it goes even beyond emotional lability, we have a sadness in our hearts that brings us an emotional edge in reality.
I have no idea what I am talking about, so please, if anybody figures it out...by all means do explain.

Big Mark, thanks for your humorous last line! Heavy topic whether you are a PAL or a CAL, and laughing keeps us from crying! I am not sure how anyone survives this ( no pun intended!) without the belief there is something better ahead! TG for the belief that the best is yet to come!

Most of us share a magnified emotional dynamic

I know exactly what you mean, Big Mark.

I wonder if the lawyer meant to say "Have a nice day" but let a Freudian slip say "death" and was so mortified she didn't correct herself, hoping against hope that no one would notice.

Either way, she's right.

For those of us who don't have ALS or any terminal disease, I think it's a bright realization that, when it's said and done, all we can really hope for is to die well, or at least to die quietly without suffering. At most, a few lucky human beings will be remembered well.

I think she really meant what she said Mike-she realized as you say that in the end the best we as PALS can hope for is an easy death, and as you also say the best any of us can hope for is to die well. To die well with ALS seems to me to be a particularly tough thing to do.

As harsh as that sounded, it is true. Hoping and praying for a peaceful death for Santa Joe.

Devbie

>We have a sadness in our hearts that brings us an emotional edge in reality.

Exactly how I feel, Mark.

**** it! ....

yes there is nothing like being told you are going to die, and not in a very nice way, to concentrate the emotions.Honestly sometimes I just want to scream at the ignorant masses. Before I had this curse I knew what it meant-although not in the way I do now.

I met with a friend about 2 months ago, shortly after my diagnosis, and he said to finish strong....I truly appreciated that and it is one thing I think of every day

generally in the beginning when people noticed something was wrong Steve would simply say he had neurological issue, a customer one day said I hope it isn't ALS, Steve told him it was to which the reply was a straight blunt and most appreciated "oh man, that's sucks!"...yup, he got it. that doesn't happen much.

>Exactly how I feel,Max!

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back