Diagnosis
06/2014
Country
US
State
Tx
City
Austin
I had thought that the bladder/bowel functions were usually spared in LS but I have read of a lot of CALS having this issue as well. Do you usually lose these functions as ALS progresses also?

I don't know about, but my hands are getting bad enough one day soon I'm going to piss myself trying to get my pecker out of my shorts 3:)

I don't know about, but my hands are getting bad enough one day soon I'm going to piss myself trying to get my pecker out of my shorts 3:)

Thanks for that Max.....I couldn't have said it better!

I'm a CALS and I've not yet had any issues... :roll:

Jim

My pals started having issues around 9 months ago with his bowels. He is bedridden but could tell me when he needed to go. Now he has lost control of his bladder in the last 4 months. I'm not sure if it was because he was using a condom catheter and got use to just going. Wasn't prepared for this either. He was diagnosed 2 1/2 years ago.

Debbie

Toileting is the least fun couples activity. I was able to lift my PALS to the toilet and stabilize her while she did her business. Then wiping her was a blind guessing game. Later, when she was unable to eat normally, BM's weren't in the picture anymore, just pee. She eventually took a catheter, bless her heart.

>Then wiping her was a blind guessing game.

the bidet toilet seat and pool are my salvation's!

My PALS has still maintained his BMs and passing his water, but he doesn't have much time once he gets the urge. Like today, I thought I would be proactive and offer him the bottle, and he said he didn't think he would need it. I got it anyway and by the time I got it to him he was sweating. When I get him up in the morning I leave his sling on, and then give him his smoothie and coffee, and he has to go almost right away. I hook his sling up, turn his make-shift ventilator that sits in the bathroom and put him on the toilet. It takes him less than 5 minutes, including the wash by the bidet. We have had a couple of accidents, but mostly it goes very smoothly, pun intended.

From the first signs, I seldom have more than a couple of minutes until I can't hold it any more. My wife is able to go with the baby to play in the garden if she takes the baby cry alarm with her but farther than that, I definitely need a urinal. For taking a dump, I have a shower chair next to this office chair, and even though no sling is needed, there is always fair amount of excitement on whether we can make the jump in the allotted time window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back