Diagnosis
04/2014
Country
US
State
MA
City
Boston
The other thread about zinc and copper got me thinking. This is old news but might be something not everyone know? There was a study that found that PALS with higher uric acid levels and BMIs of about 31 progressed slower than PALS with low or normal uric acid and higher and lower BMIs. It was originally thought higher LDL ( bad cholesterol) helped too but when they adjusted for other factors it does not seem to be the case.

So what does this mean? If you can, consider your weight. It is beyond the ability of many PALS to gain of course.

Uric acid. Ask to get it checked. My neuro aims for a value of 7-9. If you don't have a history of gout or kidney stones and it is lower a supplement called inosine can help raise it as with zinc and copper you need to follow blood work as it is not a case of the higher the better

>There was a study that found that PALS with higher uric acid levels and BMIs of about 31 progressed slower than PALS with low or normal uric acid and higher and lower BMIs ... Uric acid. Ask to get it checked. My neuro aims for a value of 7-9. If you don't have a history of gout

great, and I take Allopurinol to keep it down :-(

Max, quick question for you. My hubby's progression sounds SO similar to your (and he is also a veteran. TG for the VA! They have been wonderful!). Anyhow, regarding the gout issue. Is the literature you've read suggesting not to take medication to prevent gout, keep the acidity up? Wondering if he should discontinue it. He also takes tart cherry flex pills to keep the gout in check. Now I'm wondering if he should stop. Thanks.
Donna

>Max, quick question for you. My hubby's progression sounds SO similar to your

how is he doing? his diagnosed was a year before mine ...

>(and he is also a veteran. TG for the VA! They have been wonderful!).

Ditto that!

>Anyhow, regarding the gout issue. Is the literature you've read suggesting not to take medication to prevent gout, keep the acidity up? Wondering if he should discontinue it. He also takes tart cherry flex pills to keep the gout in check. Now I'm wondering if he should stop. Thanks.

who knows :) I have just asked Sandy to cut it in 1/2 again. it's a fine line -- if it were established fact, I would face gout over progression!

Go Blue!

UoM Engineering '78

-----
Max - Thursday, July 31, 2014 6:47:37 PM
-----
onset 9/2010, diagnosed with ALS by Stanley Appel 8/29/2013
It Is What It Is ...

Oh dear, Max- my whole opinion of you changed with the GO BLUE! We are both MSU grads - so go green and white! Lol
Interesting that you live in Texas- did you live in Michigan at one time? Thanks for the info. Will pass it on to the hubby.

>Oh dear, Max- my whole opinion of you changed with the GO BLUE! We are both MSU grads - so go green and white! Lol
Interesting that you live in Texas- did you live in Michigan at one time? Thanks for the info. Will pass it on to the hubby.

married ~36 years to a Spartan! living in hell since last year -- took her to UM/MSU game where we had -90 rushing yards!

next year! see the b10 rankings? osu #1, msu #2, us #3 :-(

I just watch the color to see how dehydrated I am

> Wondering if he should discontinue it. He also takes tart cherry flex pills to keep the gout in check. Now I'm wondering if he should stop. Thanks.

Donna, I have cut my Allopurinol down by 1/2 and now by 1/2 again. If I have another gout attack I may rethink. Damned if you do, damned if you don't :) ...

There is my source data collection on uric acid and ALS: Uric Acid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back