Diagnosis
06/2014
Country
US
State
Tx
City
Austin
we;; the government ****ed it up again. I applied for SSDI under the compassionate care provision for LS which is supposed to be approved and they den ied me SSI benefits because my spouse makes too much income!

I did not apply for SSI I asked for SSDI!

Make a phone call. Should be easily fixed.

Contact the ALS Association they work with a group of lawyers that deal with SSI. I had to use them because I was also denied SSDI and SSI. It's funding comes from a private trust and there is no out of pocket from you. They only deal with a few deceases ALS being one of them.

My PALS was denied SSDI because she had not paid into the system over the last 20 years. She worked... worked with me in our small business... but we only wrote ourselves a single check, to me. Oh well... live and learn...

Jim

Jim I would think there would be something out there for her, I am confussed. they did not use my income in figuring my spouses SSDI.
So non working mothers/wives are SOL?

>So non working mothers/wives are SOL?

interesting & hard to believe! anyone know?

What we understand (and have been told by the Social Security Administration "answer person") is:

The number of work credits you need to qualify for disability benefits depends on your age when you become disabled. Generally, you need 40 credits, 20 of which were earned in the last 10 years ending with the year you become disabled.

She can apply for early social security benefits at 62 (I believe) regardless of recent work history (if she survives)...

Jim

Yes it is true if you have not worked a social security type job ( such as when you are stay at home mom) in the last 5 years no matter how many work credits you have from before no ssdi and no medicare unless 62. My sister is in that situation. It stinks to say the least. She worked from age 15 until she had her child ,was just getting ready to return to the work force and got ALS

>no matter how many work credits you have from before no ssdi and no medicare unless 62.

I'm 62, does that mean my earlier earnings apply? I tried the ssa login, but my account was blocked. when I called there was no one there :-(

Max at 62 you can collect your social security without even applying for ssdi but without ssdi you can't get medicare until 65. Pretty sure that is correct. The 62 thing was when my sister could get anything. I forget the details because frankly she is unlikely to see 50 let alone 60 or 62 so we just crossed it off the list of possibilities

>I forget the details because frankly she is unlikely to see 50 let alone 60 or 62 so we just crossed it off the list of possibilities

ALS sucks!

-----
Max - Friday, July 18, 2014 2:24:41 PM
-----
onset 9/2010, diagnosed with ALS by Stanley Appel 8/29/2013
It Is What It Is ...

I was told that even if you apply for ssdi they automatically screen you for ssi, and of course deny you!

I did not know about the last 5 year thing, but fortunately, that didnt apply to me-I'm sorry for your sister Nikki

Nebrhahe, ALS diagnosis is an automatic and fast track for terminal diseases. do you have an actual ALS diagnosis? you need to get on the phone if you do and talk to someone. your disability has nothing to do with your wife's income...

and Jim, YES! very upsetting that a stay home mom, housewife or in your case small business owner not getting a check can not get SSDI or medicare. We also own a business, and found out the same thing. I too worked in the family business, but never drew a check--one check and it came to my husband. BIG mistake but too late for you now. what you said about the credits over the last 10 years is exactly right. It is a very bad loophole in the law--and hurts a lot of people. (your wife and nikki's sis for example right here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back