Diagnosis
06/2014
Country
US
State
Tx
City
Austin
Today I was walking when I suddenly passed out, hit the floor, my head, and hurt my one good leg. Does ALS cause one to have low blood pressure when standing?
I have noticed lately that I have gotten very dizzy when I stand up after sitting.

So sorry to hear this. What are you taking for meds and supplements?

As far as I know, ALS does not cause low blood pressure. However, many medicines can have that as a side effect, as well as just the aging process in general. I personally have had to deal with low BP for as long as I can remember and automatically use caution when I try to stand. ALS hasn't helped the standing one bit, now I have to worry about wobbly legs on top of it.

>Does ALS cause one to have low blood pressure when standing?

not that I know of, but blood pressure and anti-anxiety meds for sure.

Watch out -- falls are the 2nd leading cause of PALS progression ...

You said you passed out...I would investigate that! As far as the dizziness when standing up, that is common among our group IMO. Fatigue also is a big contributor. I don't think MND's are a big factor in our blood pressure....heart health, exercise and diet are an indication of BP values.
One of my big issues is balance, I have to be conscious of not falling at all times....I have been working on my core strength and it has helped a little. When I fall, it is usually damaging...that is why I avoid it at all costs.
Maybe you should use a cane, that seems to help me...and canes are also a great weapon if anybody messes with you!

>canes are also a great weapon if anybody messes with you!

:) I use a mono-pod as a neuro defense weapon :)

hopefully I havent increased my progression-just have a really sore gluteus maximus

was standing outside and passed out...woke up in hospital...they ran tests and decided it was dehydration..i now drink lots of water...have fractured ribs twice from falling...take precautions....

PALS have a real problem with hydration: It's so difficult to pee that they don't want to take in too much water.

yes Ive been diagnosed with dehydration twice-not this time though

CO2 build up can be dangerous too

My Chris would become quite dizzy on standing of a morning when the CO2 buildups started.

I would check with your doctor to find out why it is happening (eg meds, hydration, CO2 or other) as well as start being really careful. I'm so glad you were not seriously injured. But even an injured muscle can begin to waste faster because of the nerve damage preventing it from healing as normal.

We have collective evidence here that falls can seriously speed up progression and you just don't heal well.

Sadly I witnessed this with my own husband and can never say strongly enough - don't think it is clever to try to do what you can't, the cost is not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back