11/2012
Country
US
State
CO
City
Colorado Springs
Nothing new, just a suggestion.
The thread over in the ALS Drug Trials forum, Amino Acid - L-Serine, is closed so I thought I'd put this here.

I got the bulk supplements stuff off Amazon because it's way cheaper than pills. But it's really nasty sweet.

In the mornings I just add it to my hi-cal breakfast drink but for the evening dose I found that putting it into half-n-half water and pomegranate juice works well.

I started this and the Acetyl-L-Carnitine at the same time. Early "belief" is that my endurance is a bit better. I can shop and go to the gym in the same day and not want to die at the end.

I started a month ago, on the pills twice a day -- who knows if any of the stuff is helping. All we can do is try!

Hang in there Greg, glad you can go to the gym :)

Hi Greg good for you! Are you taking the powdered acetyl l carnitine? I started with capsules because I could get them faster. They are disgusting! How is the powder if you take that form? Ready to get refills and was thinking of switching!

I got the bulk ALC too. Way bitter but I put it in my morning 'drink'.

So what is everyone taking? Ive heard coconut oil, l serine,magnesium, zinc,-anything else that seems to help?

Hi
Is there currently a study being carried out on L-Serine ?

Thanks Greg
Ardalon there is a small one site study going on
Neb has started a new thread for his question in newly diag subforum. For continuity please everyone answer him there if you can then it will be easier to find on search for future members

So, going with the 30g/d dosage mentioned in the drug forum, and using the 1kg bulk product on Amazon, yields ~33 days at ~$2.50 per day. Not too hard to swallow (pun intended).

Hi Greg. How Much Acetyl l Carnitine are you taking?

3/4 tsp ALC which I believe works out to ~2-3gm. Once daily.

had you seen this:

Let me start by saying I'm not a Dr. or any type of medical professional, please consult with your clinic or neurologist before considering anything that hasn't been subjected to proper clinical trials and tests. That being said I didn't heed my own advise because I am willing to try ANYTHING unconventional should it not appear to do any damage or contribute to an accelerated rate of progression. I know there is currently an L-serine trial under way but this wasn't available to me were we live. I have been taking the maximum daily dosage that the study is using 30 grams. Well I'm cautiously optimistic but after only 6 full days I'm able to lift coffee cups onto the second shelf in a cupboard (couldn't do this with two hands a week ago) and am able to lift my right arm higher then I could a week ago, by a significant amount. Again these are just my findings, but in 2 years since Dx this is the first improvement I've ever seen. Is that dosage harmful, I really don't know. I bought a month supply so will continue to monitor results. I was told however that it's safe to take with Rilutek as it's only an amino acid. Are there others here that have done the same as me? If so what have you noticed, positive or negative? Sorry for the long post but I am excited about the early results and thought I should report this if it's able to be beneficial to anyone else. I don't mind being the guinea pig.

Hi Max,
I take 3mg. I too, would like to hear if someone else takes 30mg.:)

>So, going with the 30g/d L-Serine dosage mentioned in the drug forum, and using the 1kg bulk product on Amazon, yields ~33 days at ~$2.50 per day. Not too hard to swallow (pun intended).

>3/4 tsp ALC which I believe works out to ~2-3gm. Once daily.

>I take 3mg. I too, would like to hear if someone else takes 30mg.

Greg, you meant 3g, right? not 30g?

I am going to start on this this week. I also ordered an electrical muscle stimulaton, so we'll see ...

Let's be careful here ... we're mixing comments about two different amino acids:

- L-Serine (which is the title of this string) is currently in a Ph II trial in which the max dosage is 15gm twice daily (or 30gm daily)

- Acetyl L-Carnatine is being discussed in this stirng WAS in a Ph II trial which completed in 2013, and for which the max dosage was 3gm per day. NOT 30gm per day.

Please be careful....

Max: > I also ordered an electrical muscle stimulaton, so we'll see ...

Let's crank up a new string for this ... my wife has a TENS unit....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back